Options
2»

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2017 at 7:50PM
    Options
    Caddyman wrote: »
    In England certainly, the vast majority of people do have to pay privately for a flu jab. Only the over 65's, asthmatics, school children and the pregnant get it for free and possibly some vulnerable groups in very low income brackets.

I find it quite amusing that with so many pharmacists etc ask me if I pay for my prescriptions and jabs. The reality is, probably most adults in England do have to pay.

Not totally true. If you are in vulnerable bracket due to an illness, you can also get it.

Evidently you didn't read the link in the post you commented on. A lot more people than the few categories you quoted can get a free flu jab.

I'm in my 50's and have had it free for the last 4 years because of a condition. I'm not on any benefits. And I pay for my other prescriptions.

Please do your research before you spout your misinformed information.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • emmzickle
    Options
    In England certainly, the vast majority of people do have to pay privately for a flu jab. Only the over 65's, asthmatics, school children and the pregnant get it for free and possibly some vulnerable groups in very low income brackets.

Did you read the link? Far more people than those you listed can get it for free e.g. carers, frontline NHS staff and people with lots of conditions other than asthma (regardless of whether they are in a very low income bracket) ...
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    emmzickle wrote: »
    Did you read the link? Far more people than those you listed can get it for free e.g. carers, frontline NHS staff and people with lots of conditions other than asthma (regardless of whether they are in a very low income bracket) ...

Yes I did read the link, indeed my own wife gets the flu jab free because she works in Local Government in a job that entitles her to have the jab. I didn't obviously make myself entirely clear, aside from those public sector workers and other 'group's that are clearly entitled to the jab for free, that still leaves the majority of us who do have to pay. How pedantic do you want to be? :p
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    Not totally true. If you are in vulnerable bracket due to an illness, you can also get it.

Evidently you didn't read the link in the post you commented on. A lot more people than the few categories you quoted can get a free flu jab.

I'm in my 50's and have had it free for the last 4 years because of a condition. I'm not on any benefits. And I pay for my other prescriptions.

Thank you for putting me back in my box and publicly humiliating me for my lack of research. I feel completely and utterly spanked! ;)

I'm surprised that my 'unresearched' babble was found more offensive than the assertion by another forum post that those who shop at Asda are apparently the great unwashed! :D

Peace and goodwill to all! ;)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for putting me back in my box and publicly humiliating me for my lack of research. I feel completely and utterly spanked! ;)

I'm surprised that my 'unresearched' babble was found more offensive than the assertion by another forum post that those who shop at Asda are apparently the great unwashed! :D

Peace and goodwill to all! ;)

That's the way forums go.... you never know how things will be taken. Such as my post, which (to me) was clearly tongue in cheek. :)

I'd love to shop at Asda... it's my "shop of choice" ... except it's the furthest (16 miles round trip), so I go to L1dl/4ldi :)
  • emmzickle
    Options
    Yes I did read the link, indeed my own wife gets the flu jab free because she works in Local Government in a job that entitles her to have the jab. I didn't obviously make myself entirely clear, aside from those public sector workers and other 'group's that are clearly entitled to the jab for free, that still leaves the majority of us who do have to pay. How pedantic do you want to be? :p

Well it depends how pedantic we want to be about the definition of vast majority you used in your first post :p I would pedantically disagree that the vast majority have to pay.

My point was more a lot of people (for example carers - those that look after family members rather than those employed to do so) don't know they entitled to a free vaccine and so don't get. A lot of people also don't know about the long list of medical conditions that mean you can get the vaccine for free and tend to just think of lung related conditions. More people vaccinated the better :)
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 October 2017 at 4:05PM
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »

Miaowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's the way forums go.... you never know how things will be taken. Such as my post, which (to me) was clearly tongue in cheek. :)

I'd love to shop at Asda... it's my "shop of choice" ... except it's the furthest (16 miles round trip), so I go to L1dl/4ldi :)

It was pretty obvious your post was tongue in cheek - it made me snigger - and I shop at Asda too

You will never avoid the people who spend great amounts of time browsing these boards in order to be ''offended'' and snark at people, whilst continually failing to add anything of value to any debate

Keep cracking the jokes
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Litchielou
    Options
    I have just been to Asda for my flu vaccine and paid £5 which is good value. What I can't understand is why the same vaccine is £12 in boots and at another chemist it's £9.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It gets people into their store and hopefully they'll buy other things I presume. Probably other chains look to make a profit from it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure