Damage to rented Enterprise van

Comments

• Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for all the replies. It's such minor damage, it just seems so unfair that we're gong tonne charged hundreds, possibly thousands, for the repair.

Why is it unfair? you have rented a van of theirs, damaged it after refusing to pay the extra insurance and then feel wronged when you have been asked to pay for it?
  • force_ten wrote: »
    sorry it it a random figure that i plucked out of the air which is all anybody could do in answer to your question

you didnt even tell anybody the location of the damage or the size of the dent but you wanted to know "how much are Enterprise likely to charge is for this type of repair?"

I suppose I was interested in others' experiences of dealing with Enterprise. I wasn't expecting some sort of quote. There's no need to need to be cruel to me. This forum is supposed to be a community for advice.
  • Geodark wrote: »
    Why is it unfair? you have rented a van of theirs, damaged it after refusing to pay the extra insurance and then feel wronged when you have been asked to pay for it?

I don't mind paying for the damage. But I do mind having to pay hundreds or thousands of pounds for something minor. And I don't like that Enterprise can just take whatever amount they like from my credit card.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I don't mind paying for the damage. But I do mind having to pay hundreds or thousands of pounds for something minor. And I don't like that Enterprise can just take whatever amount they like from my credit card.

Well let's say £1000 for the repair plus the lost rental while it's in for repair would be a rough guess. Any happier now?
  • I don't mind paying for the damage. But I do mind having to pay hundreds or thousands of pounds for something minor. And I don't like that Enterprise can just take whatever amount they like from my credit card.
    Unfortunately this would have been in the terms you agreed to when you hired the van, not many people will read every sentence and thats how they get away with the high charges.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,877
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    We never took out the extra insurance because the cost of being the van for the morning was £35, and the extra insurance was £25. We are regretting it now though.
    For future reference you can buy such insurance from a third party insurer, usually at a rate much, much cheaper than the rental company will charge for it. For example, I recently hired a car for five days and got excess cover for £17. I could have bought annual excess cover for about £40. With these policies, you have to pay the excess for the damage and then subsequently claim from the insurer to recover the amount, so you need to be comfortable with the amount being on your credit card for the interim period.
  • Well let's say £1000 for the repair plus the lost rental while it's in for repair would be a rough guess. Any happier now?

No, not really.
  • rich13348
    rich13348 Posts: 840
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's unfortunate but at then end of the day you damaged their property and they have a right to fix it. Also bodywork and paint is a skilled job that you pay a premium for so they cannot get it done for peanuts.

They also have a right to get it repaired properly and cover any losses for when the van is out of use.

You agreed to all this when you signed and gave them your credit card details.

In future look in to 3rd party excess insurance or tell your OH to drive better.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,439
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Until you get the final bill all you currently know is that it will be a maximum of £1,150 because that is the standard excess on their commercial vans.

When hiring a van you are taking out a vehicle than most people are not used to driving and you are likely to be moving bulky heavy stuff in it, so the chances of damaging the vehicle are much higher than with a car.

My annual excess policy does not cover commercial vehicles, so this is one time I would consider taking out the rental company's excess insurance.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 20 April 2017 at 11:03AM
    Thanks for all the replies. It's such minor damage, it just seems so unfair that we're gong tonne charged hundreds, possibly thousands, for the repair.

Using that logic, every hirer who puts a 'minor' dent in it should not be charged for the repair. How would the van look after a year or so under those conditions, since the hirer wouldn't bother repairing minor damage? You had the option of insuring against the risk of having to pay the excess and you declined to do so.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport