Tumble Dryers Fire Risk - Hotpoint / Indesit / Creda

Comments

• minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    i have a hotpoint washer dryer. which isnt effected by the problem.

however its broken down due to a faulty control board. its out of warranty but its only four years old. its like brand new still!

having had an engineer out and read on many forums apparently this is a common fault with them. the replacement part is over £100 and only hotpoint can do this work.

surely if this is the case shouldn't these be a recall too. apparently its not.

glad i didn't pay for it and only inherited it. but its a shame to just scrap it.
  • Sku11
    Sku11 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Only just heard about this despite 2 engineer repair visits since buying in December 2015. Filed webform and awaiting response!

Seems strange that despite my dealings with the supplier and manufacturer to have faults repaired, no one has mentioned whether a known fault has been carried out on my appliance.

Thanks Martin Lewis :A
  • So they've written to me and told me not to use my dryer or it might burn the house down. They've offered a repair but no timescale or I can take up their "offer" of paying them another £59 or £99 for a dryer that actually works!! I need a dryer NOW!!
    Surely they should be obliged, legally, to replace this dangerous appliance with a new one immediately!!??
    Ian.
  • I agree. I'm fed up of them constantly trying to dodge their responsibilities by getting me to buy a new tumble dryer, which by all accounts is not as good as what it would be replacing.

I clean the fluff filter out every time, vacuum the area around the fluff filter every few weeks and never leave it on when we're out or asleep. I'll continue to run this machine until they repair it.

I registered my tumble dryer 1st December 2015, they said it would be repaired May 2016. It's now 2017 and still no new information from them, except scare tactics: "please give us money or your house will burn down".
  • Dirool
    Dirool Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi
    In the belief that Hotpoint would NOT give me a refund I reluctantly agreed to a repair 3 weeks ago. I didn't agree to paying a further £99 to replace my 15 month old machine for an inferior model.
    I don't have any confidence in the repair which was carried out and have lost trust in Hotpoint.
    Do you think I could still demand a refund?
    Kind regards
    Dirool
  • Can someone please help?!

We had a faulty Hotpoint dryer and ordered our replacement dryer in February 2015 (at a cost of £99!). We received it on 15th March 2015. The dryer has now developed a fault. I contacted Hotpoint who have advised the warranty has ran out and we would be charged £120 for an engineer. Surely the warranty should be from date of delivery (when sale is completed) and not order date? Can anyone clarify before I rant at them yet again?! I have looked at Consumer Act 2015 and can't seem to find anything about warranty. Thanks in advance x
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Can someone please help?!

We had a faulty Hotpoint dryer and ordered our replacement dryer in February 2015 (at a cost of £99!). We received it on 15th March 2015. The dryer has now developed a fault. I contacted Hotpoint who have advised the warranty has ran out and we would be charged £120 for an engineer. Surely the warranty should be from date of delivery (when sale is completed) and not order date? Can anyone clarify before I rant at them yet again?! I have looked at Consumer Act 2015 and can't seem to find anything about warranty. Thanks in advance x

You may be better off posting this on "The Consumer Rights Board"
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • SJ74
    SJ74 Posts: 1 Newbie
    My tumble dryer is one of the affected machine, which Hotpoint refused to replace. The £59 replacement offer did not fit in with my kitchen and, besides, I felt I shouldn't have to pay out again. (I've had the machine approx. 2 years, using it without any problem). However, SINCE the modification was made by their engineer, the machine started marking and burning clothes. The Hotpoint number supplied by their engineer is 'unavailable'. Since my local engineer was visiting to service my washing machine, I explained the problems I was having and he took the top of the dryer off; what he discovered was frightening. The modification had not been done correctly and the machine even more of a fire hazard. I was advised not to use the machine and to report it to Trading Standards and the Fire Service (attaching photos taken at the time). I have subsequently heard that Hotpoint has now stated that machines should not be used until the repair has been made. Since I'm a working mum with 2 kids, I can't be without a dryer for long and Hotpoint has been useless! I called my local engineer back a week later and had him make the necessary repair to make the machine safe for use. (It cost me £84, which I will now be looking to Hotpoint to reimburse). The engineers modifying the dryers are either lacking in experience or taking shortcuts. (I understand they are paid per machine modified, with Hotpoint stating that the modification should be made within a 30 min job slot, which my engineer has said is woefully inadequate).
  • We're fed up with the way Hotpoint are dealing with their problem machines.

Purchased near top of line dryer in 2010 from currys. It needed a new thermostat not long after which Hotpoint repaired.

We have refused the modification and are not willing to give them any more of our money for a newer machine which is not near top of line. It doesn't even look like our firerisk machine 🔥

Hotpoint customer support are digging their heels in so we have been left with no choice, we are pursuing a refund under section 75 sales of goods. It was faulty at point of sale so their contract with us is not valid.

Now the real shady thing here is they say we have a new machine in our home and the firerisk machine doesn't exist on their systems :mad:
    We spoke about the affected machine just a few days ago now they conveniently can't find it. The thermostat repair doesn't exist either.

They are shady liars. Avoid the whirlpool group products people. Vote with your wallets.
  • I don't know if this information appears anywhere else on this site but there is a government petition
    concerning these tumble dryers. Search for petitions UK Government and Parliament
    Please visit and sign.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport