Positive steps thread 2014

ghostmadlittlemiss
ghostmadlittlemiss Posts: 1,788 Forumite
edited 21 October 2014 at 5:16PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hello everyone and welcome to the Positive Steps thread for 2014! :D

This thread was originally run by fairyclicks and the last version of it was set up in 2013. I was a semi-regular poster on it and found it really helpful. I had to leave this forum for a while for personal reasons and when I returned, the thread was no longer active. As I found it so useful, I attempted to PM fairyclicks to ask what had happened to the thread with the view of asking if she would be ok with me setting up the thread again myself if she was too busy to. Unfortunately, her inbox was full and so I've decided to set up the thread again anyway. Fairyclicks, if you read this and are annoyed that I decided to re-start your thread, please do PM me and let me know and I'll take it down again. I just found the original thread, and you, such an inspiration that I wanted to continue 'stepping' on my return to the forum and to invite others to do it with me. I really hope you don't mind.
Kayleigh

(Second post on what 'stepping' and the Positive Steps thread are to follow)

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• So, what is 'Stepping'?

Stepping is any step that we take towards making our lives better. It can be as simple as doing the washing up or cooking a meal or as complex as paying off a large debt. The point of stepping is to break up those huge goals we set ourselves, such as "Be debt free, or "Lost 3 stone," or "Have a tidy house," into manageable chunks that we can work on, one day at a time. Although there are other threads on this forum about taking small steps every day, I've started this thread as not all the steps we take towards our goals are necessarily MSE. For example, if you want to loose weight, the food items lowest in fat or sugar aren't always the cheapest. Or the steps might be irrelevant to money saving, such as tidying your house. But every step we take helps us to become happier, more motivated people (sorry if I sound like a self help book here :rotfl: ) and therefore are beneficial in the long run, even if they might involve things that don't necessarily fit into other MSE threads.

So, please join me in posting your positive steps and maybe even your long term goals. Otherwise, I'll feel a right plonker talking to myself here! :rotfl:
    Kayleigh
  • ghostmadlittlemiss
    ghostmadlittlemiss Posts: 1,788 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2014 at 10:01PM
    So, here's my 'stepping' list to start everyone off.

[STRIKE]Shower.[/STRIKE] Done. :D
    Wash pots.
    Make Keralan Aubergine Curry.
    [STRIKE]Take last payslip to Council Office.[/STRIKE] Done, need to chase up P45 now. :D
    [STRIKE]Talk to CAB about what I can do about mechanic who scammed me.[/STRIKE] Done, need to call consumer helpline tomorrow.
    Add 10 phone numbers to list to call about cleaning products.

Just a small list but I might add more to it later on.
    Kayleigh
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Lovely to see you again Kayleigh.

I'm focusing on getting fit so today my small step is to do a run if I get home early enough tonight.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • This thread has arrived at the perfect time for me. thanks for starting it again! I am stressed out of my tree with work and given myself a migraine so couldn't drive to work.
    I remember the old one and always liked the idea. I also liked Fairyclicks and her blog! I hope she is ok.

So steps for today

1. put clothes away
    2. hoover mess
    3. 30 books.
    4. exam question marking.
    5. 30 books.
    6. odd bits of marking.

thanks

XX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Bublin1
    Bublin1 Posts: 724 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Isn't this thread similar to the 'What DFW Things have you Done Today?' thread.
    Dave Ramsey Fan[/COLOR]
  • Wow, I'm really glad to have had such a positive response to this thread. :D It's great to know that I won't be just posting on my own here. :)
    Bublin1 wrote: »
    Isn't this thread similar to the 'What DFW Things have you Done Today?' thread.

It is slightly similar, yes, which was why I added the explanation post stating that not every step people take is always MSE. That's one of the things that put me off just posting in the above thread (great though it is), rather than running one myself, was the fact that people's to do lists were very money focused, such as earning money from ad watching sites and the like, whereas my to do list always tended to be more general than that. Yes, I know it's a money saving site so that's natural but I just didn't feel like I'd have fit in on that thread, hence starting this one. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure everyone would've been totally friendly, I just would've felt out of place personally and I wondered if others might have felt the same.

Sorry if the above made no sense or came off as a bit stand-offish, I honestly didn't mean it to. Social skills are not my forte, I'm afraid! :D
    Kayleigh
  • So steps for today

1. put clothes away DONE
    2. hoover mess DONE
    3. 30 books. DONE
    4. exam question marking. nope
    5. 30 books. nope
    6. odd bits of marking. nope

thanks

XX

not a very successful day.

really need to learn to prioritise, the exam marking is WAY more important.

If it wasn't 11 o clock I'd give it a go now.

Thanks again for starting the thread again :)

XXXx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hello :-)

I really like the idea of this thread, here are some things from me..

1. Eat the lunch I brought with me to work, no buying extras in the cafe
    2. Go for a run when I get home
    3. Go to vege shop on way home from run and get some cheap apples
    4. Make soup for tomorrow.

Hoglet x
  • (Sarcasm on) Well, that was a truly fantastic start on my side of things. (Sarcasm off) We really need the eye rolling smilie back for times like this. Hopefully, my few days of illness are over now and I can start getting on with stuff now.
    not a very successful day.

really need to learn to prioritise, the exam marking is WAY more important.

If it wasn't 11 o clock I'd give it a go now.

Thanks again for starting the thread again :)

XXXx

Prioritising is one of my worse problems too. I always want to do the easy, little jobs first when quite often, they're the least important ones. Don't worry that you didn't get everything done, there's no judgement here and God knows I'll often enough be in the same boat. :D
    Kayleigh
  • moohound
    moohound Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Positive steps for this year, starting a bit late in the day I know.

Budget properly - not just in my head :o done using YNAB
    Make a start on an emergency fund - done £650/£1000
    Open an ISA - done £100 saved.
    Make a start on sorting the £8000 mortgage shortfall - starting next month.
    Save for Christmas - starting next month
    ISA £1675 :DMiniMoohound savings £3685.86 :T Plus £3800 CTF :)
    'MrMoneyMuststache' my new hero, Martin Lewis my long time hero
    Poacher turned Gamekeeper
    Roadkill rebel No 52 Aug £1.34p Sept 24p Oct 5p Nov 5p Sealed pot Challenge No 403 £176.66(2014) :staradmin NOV NST No 20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure