Free upgrade to BT Infinity

Comments

• VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    @CarolynCh

Carolyn, have you never negotiated a discount at renewal with BT?
  • rubble2
    rubble2 Posts: 549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    CarolynCh wrote: »
    OP - what price were you paying on BTBB option 3? They don't seem to have any unlimited BB option available on their website any more, just either 10GB or 40GB per month. Are you getting the unlimited infinity (advertised at £26 per month) for no extra cost?

We have had (unlimited) infinity for a couple of years now and upgraded to the "max 76MB" in November (although we only get about 53MB). The price was £26.80 and the upgrade was the same price (but advertised at £26). We just got our bill and they have increased the price to £28.35 from 5 Jan. I have complained (as it is still advertised at £26) and they have given us an immediate refund of 12 x £2.35 (£28.20). This is great but obviously I am interested to see if other people are getting it much cheaper and complain again! (changing to a different supplier is not an option as my DH needs it for work so we can't afford any down time or mess ups).

CarolynCh

I am currently on BB option3 (unlimited) and am paying about £13.50 a month ( + line rental). When I rang BT I was told that I would get Infinity (unlimited) at absolutely no extra cost to what I am paying now and that there would be no change to my contract dates.

That all sounds good but I need to confirm with them what will happen when my current contract expires ( May) as I would be most displeased if they then try and charge me the going rate for Infinity on renewal. Not sure they could get away with that really but it is BT we are talking about, still I can always go to a different supplier in May if they won't play ball
  • VisionMan wrote: »
    @CarolynCh

Carolyn, have you never negotiated a discount at renewal with BT?

We pay the line rental saver up front (one 12 month contract) and also are on a continuous 12 month contract (second 12 month contract) to get evening & weekend calls included for nothing but I don't think I knew we actually had a "renewal" for the infinity - it was just on a continuous contract before I upgraded the speed last November (which is now presumably 3rd 12 month contract) as far as I knew.

I had no idea that they would negotiate on the line rental saver or anything else for that matter - I have enough difficulty getting them to admit that they are wrong each time the end of our "stay with us for 12 months for free evening/weekend" contract comes around and they try to charge us before they renew.

TBH, since we don't pay for any calls with BT (use 18185 for daytime calls), they would probably tell us to get lost and go to another supplier anyway!
  • rubble2 wrote: »
    CarolynCh

I am currently on BB option3 (unlimited) and am paying about £13.50 a month ( + line rental). When I rang BT I was told that I would get Infinity (unlimited) at absolutely no extra cost to what I am paying now and that there would be no change to my contract dates.

That all sounds good but I need to confirm with them what will happen when my current contract expires ( May) as I would be most displeased if they then try and charge me the going rate for Infinity on renewal. Not sure they could get away with that really but it is BT we are talking about, still I can always go to a different supplier in May if they won't play ball

It will be interesting to know how you get on - I might need to try a bit of negotiation after checking what other suppliers are offering for fibre optic too.
  • VisionMan
    CarolynCh wrote: »
    We pay the line rental saver up front (one 12 month contract) and also are on a continuous 12 month contract (second 12 month contract) to get evening & weekend calls included for nothing but I don't think I knew we actually had a "renewal" for the infinity - it was just on a continuous contract before I upgraded the speed last November (which is now presumably 3rd 12 month contract) as far as I knew.

I had no idea that they would negotiate on the line rental saver or anything else for that matter - I have enough difficulty getting them to admit that they are wrong each time the end of our "stay with us for 12 months for free evening/weekend" contract comes around and they try to charge us before they renew.

TBH, since we don't pay for any calls with BT (use 18185 for daytime calls), they would probably tell us to get lost and go to another supplier anyway!

Carolyn, theres no such thing as a continuous 12 month contract. Once you first initial contract is up, it then switches to a mth-to-mth contact. So you need to ring BT and 1, ask them if your in contact at the moment and 2, if you are, ask them when is it due for renewal.

Then, do your homework as to what other providers will offer you to switch from BT. Then, one month before renewal, or now if your not in contract, ring BT on 150 and select cancellations. Tell them what you've been offered elsewhere and you want to cancel. Then say something nice like 'which is a pity really, as I've never had any problems with BT' and oh yes, they'll offer you discounts to keep you.

Use this broadband checker to see who is available in your area so you know who to ring to check alternate offers -

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

And good luck.
  • VisionMan wrote: »
    Carolyn, theres no such thing as a continuous 12 month contract. Once you first initial contract is up, it then switches to a mth-to-mth contact. So you need to ring BT and 1, ask them if your in contact at the moment and 2, if you are, ask them when is it due for renewal.

Then, do your homework as to what other providers will offer you to switch from BT. Then, one month before renewal, or now if your not in contract, ring BT on 150 and select cancellations. Tell them what you've been offered elsewhere and you want to cancel. Then say something nice like 'which is a pity really, as I've never had any problems with BT' and oh yes, they'll offer you discounts to keep you.

Use this broadband checker to see who is available in your area so you know who to ring to check alternate offers -

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

And good luck.

I think the problem we have (and this is probably why they do it) is that our line rental saver contract and "stay with us for 12 months to get free evening and weekend calls" are both different dates (November and March I think) so unless we let one of them lapse and switch to a "month-by-month" contract (which will cost us more or lose us the free evening & weekend), we don't have any point in time when we are not "in contract" in order for me to tell them I want to cancel. (the new twelve month infinity contract runs to November 2013 which is about the same time as my line rental saver).
  • We received this same letter from BT in October. We decided to run with the 'Free Upgrade'.
    However we just got our most recent bill and are being charged £44 instead of our normal £30. When i called BT they said it was because our contract had ended and we then had to pay for the Infinity.
    I will be contacting BT as not only were we not informed there would be increased charges when our contract ended they also didn't give us forwarning that out contract was coming to an end which i found quite unusual.
    They also said once on infinity you can not go back to copper broadband.
    I'm furious!
  • VisionMan
    rhb1 wrote: »
    We received this same letter from BT in October. We decided to run with the 'Free Upgrade'.
    However we just got our most recent bill and are being charged £44 instead of our normal £30. When i called BT they said it was because our contract had ended and we then had to pay for the Infinity.
    I will be contacting BT as not only were we not informed there would be increased charges when our contract ended they also didn't give us forwarning that out contract was coming to an end which i found quite unusual.
    I'm furious!

Then cancel it. #%$ em. And that bit about not being able to go back to copper BB isn't true. Or just renew. And get your discounts again (if you go through cancellations, that is).
  • rubble2
    rubble2 Posts: 549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    rhb1 wrote: »
    We received this same letter from BT in October. We decided to run with the 'Free Upgrade'.
    I'm furious!

To be fair this has happened to me before, once your contract ends any discounts you have finish and you need to renegotiate the terms of a new contract. You really need to keep on top of when your contract ends and make sure you renegotiate a month in advance so that if you want to leave you can give sufficient notice not to incur any penalties or price increases.
  • I've had this letter too - can anyone tell me how they contacted BT (I'm presuming ringing the basic number will get me nowhere) as the number advertised just diverts and cuts me off??
    :j Growing Older is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport