Self employed singer/entertainer

My son is thinking of becoming a tribute artist, but although we have managed to find a lot of information about this, we are struggling finding a lot of information. This is a completely new situation to our family. Are there any singers/ tribute artists out there who could give us a few pointers in the right direction? How does he protect his chosen stage name (read something about sending a letter to himself, cant find it now), any letter templates etc.

Thanks in advance x

Comments

• dave4545454
    dave4545454 Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    check here for registering your artist name and to check it's not already being used http://www.bandname.com/
    i do a lot of gigging myself, my band's music rather than covers. it's a lot of fun and pays well especially as it's tax free cash in hand.
    Martin has asked me to tell you I'm about to cut the cheese, pull my finger.
  • taffy83
    taffy83 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Best thing would be to look for entertainment agencies in your area, I do mobile discos at weekends and sometimes work along side singers and most of them are sent through a agency.
    April wins Jim Davidson Tickets, Book, Timmy time goodies, Puppy, bear, Malibu cocktail shaker. singstar ps3 game, mccains chip voucher x 2, fanimal, June Wins, Maglite tourch, football, mccains chips, urban hits cd, wkd dodgy barnet, ben 10 lego, hair dye, makeup, vola hd pro,
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I work for promotions company who promote original and covers bands amongst all sorts of other entertainment acts. We prefer to be sent a demo disc or link to an online MP3 file, plus a bio of the band/artist - age, experience, credits, style of music, covers/singer songwrite or both. Band size (min/max) and location/area willing to work.
    Good luck to your lad - most of our artists would never consider doing anything else.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Nicky321
    Nicky321 Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies, we are working on getting some cd recorded and a pack to promote himself, any idea on "How does he protect his chosen stage name (read something about sending a letter to himself, cant find it now), any letter templates etc." Ive checked http://www.bandname.com/ but was told by someone he doesnt need to register his name.
  • dave4545454
    dave4545454 Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    which artist is he doing a tribute of?

unfortunately the only 2 singers i can impersonate are barry white and louis armstrong but i doubt they would let me black up on the "stars in your eyes" tv programme for it ;)
    Martin has asked me to tell you I'm about to cut the cheese, pull my finger.
  • Nicky321
    which artist is he doing a tribute of?

unfortunately the only 2 singers i can impersonate are barry white and louis armstrong but i doubt they would let me black up on the "stars in your eyes" tv programme for it ;)

Johnny Cash, he is limited because of his deep voice and hes only 18, but has had excellent compliments so far from people who have heard him.
  • grnglide
    grnglide Posts: 171 Forumite
    check here for registering your artist name and to check it's not already being used http://www.bandname.com/
    i do a lot of gigging myself, my band's music rather than covers. it's a lot of fun and pays well especially as it's tax free cash in hand.

Not legally cash in hand unless you can prove you really are self employed. Once you earn any significant amount there are National Insurance implications as well.

Clubs and pubs may be happy to pay cash in hand, no invoice but if they get caught by HMRC they will come after the performers as well.

No such thing as a free, legal, lunch:)
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Try contacting the musicians union - they may be able to advise and there is lots of information on their website.

Register self employment with the HMRC, he may need public liability insurance too as venues like artistes to have their own just in case someone trips over the speakers etc.

As others have said - best to sign up with an agency too as that way you get gigs.

If he employs a manager to work with him then the manager will expect a 15-20% cut (industry standard). the manager will get the gigs etc.

HTH
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    PS - when contacting agents, do some research on their other acts to see if you compliment them.

The agent I work for is a devote Christian and started out with specifically Christian bands. This is quite clear from the website. We got an approach the other day from a Heavy Rock band whose email address contained the word S*tan. Needless to say, they didn't get a response....
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Nicky321
    Thanks for all the input, greatly appreciated. What equipment would he need to start up and roughly what costs are we looking at? Ive spoke to a guy who used to do Tom Jones Tribute and he said most artists provide their own equipment, eg speakers, stand, mic etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure