Money Moral Dilemma: Should I charge my Mum for my old phone?

Comments

• As a mum, it is so often about giving to your kids, so why not turn that around? She will be so impressed if you give it to her for free as she will no doubt be helping you out with something else at a later date. And you will feel pretty good too :T
  • Err given that you have been offered £50 for the phone and you love your mum....
    No
    Sell the phone at the best price you can and buy your mum the best new phone with the money (add some money). The Moto G is a great starter smart phone for parents (my parents both over 65 have one each)

And wrap it up as a Christmas/birthday/other gift.
  • And install AVG AntiVirus on the phone so when she losses the phone you can be super son/daughter by finding it.
  • marich
    marich Posts: 125 Forumite
    So many people are asking you this - quite how much is a happy Mum worth ?

If you have any love for her then don't be so mean - just give it to her , show her how to use it , load some credit and support her . After all , it's what she ever did for you (I hope) .

Friends come and go - Mums are forever .
  • SunReader
    SunReader Posts: 210 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2014 at 3:06AM
    Charge her full whack for it and stick the wedge an ISA, if she is unfamiliar with phone technology you can probably overcharge her.

Parents expecting special favours are so unreasonable.

My dad asked me to put air in his tyres last week - I sent him an invoice, with interest to be charged after 28 days.

Nick the charger too - worth a couple of quid on ebay!

Poor people are stupid, make your own way in life.
  • Definitely not. Your mum has probably sacrificed lots of things she could have had over the years to buy you the the things you wanted or needed. Let her have it and show her to use it. :)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    :jMy OH and I are both dependent on our daughters' cast off phones-haven't bought a phone since 1999 - provided that they can be unlocked we just put a PAYG SIM in -I've still got the same SIM/phone number since 1999 !!
    Currently residing in a venerable Samsung.

SO NO, don't expect any money -give freely as a gift when you upgrade!
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Tell her you have already sold it.

Are these "dilemmas" real in anyway?
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You should let your mum have your 'old' phone for free.
    Getting your first smartphone is a life-changing experience - you'll be sharing that experience with her.
    You'll be contributing to family prosperity by recycling an asset.
    Indirectly, you'll be telling your mum and your mate that the phone is worth more than £50.
    Your mum will get all wised-up on sim-only deals :D that's got to be good for you, long term.
    If you're lucky she'll get you an occasional treat from O2 Priority.
    Your old phone will stay in the family - useful if you need an back-up phone in an emergency. Oops.

I have benefited from my daughters' hand-me down phones and all the above apply. I am very grateful.
  • Google no charge sung by tammy wynette, listen to the song and you'll have your answer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure