PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting with bad credit history

Comments

• I want to resurrect this really old thread because I'm about to default on one of my accounts and am freaking out about it. I kepe thinking I'll never be able to rent anywhere. :(
    Debt
    [strike]April 2007 £17197.49
    June 2007 £16593.49
    [/strike]

Currently: £15293.49 (thanks HSBC!)
    Watch this space for progress!
    Aims:
    To pay off in Oct 07
    £102.39 - Viva La Diva
    £176.20 - Wescot
    £417.88 - MBNA
    To pay off in Jan 08
    £2665.24 - MBNA CC
    To pay off in May 08
    £928.81 - HSBC CC
    £1006.01 - Barclaycard
  • fa1ryw1ngs
    fa1ryw1ngs Posts: 76 Forumite
    thank you for this thread i am living in a council house with the neighbours from hell and really need to get out the only way i can do it is to rent we have not got the deposit or credit rating for a mortgage.
    Fingers crossed
    Got appointment with money matters on 12th Feb re: Scottish LILA BR :Dfingers crossed

B&SC Member 307

Hope i can help even if i just let you know someone is listening
  • jimc_2
    jimc_2 Posts: 290 Forumite
    I'm about to default on one of my accounts and am freaking out about it. I kepe thinking I'll never be able to rent anywhere. :(

The Credit Check carried out in many cases is at the level of major defaults such as CCJs and Bankruptcies. I am told that in many cases the referring agency simply matches the detected CCJs (Undischarged and Discharged) against what the tenant declared on the application form. The biggest No-No is if the tenant appears to be hiding a CCJ (even if it has been discharged).

If the tenant is totally honest about the CCJs and their current financial position (The check also shows the extent of the CCJ so the landlord can see if you are in for hundreds or thousands) then they are far more likely to welcome the honesty. Having said that, it is not uncommon for Letting Agents to be instructed "no CCJs" so you will be limiting your possibilities. Private landlords tend to be more forgiving when dealing direct and person-to-person but BE HONEST AND UPFRONT is the key.
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The couple that rent my flat are semi-retired and have moved from the west-midlands to be closer to family. Because they are retired my LA told them and me that they would be difficult to credit check. As a result they offered to pay the full rental fees upfront and have continued to do so each time the AST is renewed.

Just becuase you'll be hard to credit check or have a poor result does not close all the doors - find a good LA and be truthful with them and they could be able to help - afterall they want to get their commission for finding a tenant for their landlord.

Good luck
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • hm2be
    hm2be Posts: 149 Forumite
    We dont have a bad credit history but we were not credit checked by the LA. Although I think that has something to do with ours not being an AST tenancy- easier to get rid of us if they needed to.
  • Can anyone help?

We have hit really bad times financially and we are losing our home. We now have to rent. Should we tell the letting agency everything, although the house has not been reposessed as yet?

Any advice would be really appreciated...we have young children and we are worried sick that we are going to end up homeless.

Lilmur
  • Hi we have a very bad credit history with a discharged Bankruptcies and have on our credit file about 7 ccjs we can not rent anyone with ccj ect will not be able to rent renting is for the people who have a good credit scoor or have 6 months rental up front.and dont forget everytime you apply to rent a house the secrch wil show on your credit file and the make it a impossible task. dont bother renting
  • jimc_2
    jimc_2 Posts: 290 Forumite
    dont forget everytime you apply to rent a house the secrch wil show on your credit file and the make it a impossible task.

Whilst this is true of full CREDIT searches (Searches carried out specifically to justify a requested loan or a credit facility), a 'Tenant Referencing' search does not necessarily register as a Credit Search on the records. I know this is true for searches using CallCredit if the organisation carrying out the search ticks the 'tenant referencing' box, but don't know whether this applies to the other 2 credit referencing agencies.
  • DonutUK
    DonutUK Posts: 43 Forumite
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but....

Just about to get my first CCJ. I am in a DMP and all but one of my creditors have accepted the payment offer.
    The other has taken me to court!

Also in the process of separating from the missus, and would probably end up looking to rent.

How bad is it going to be for me with a recent CCJ and a fair few defaults, although they are all a few years old e.g. i haven't run up new debts for the last 5 yrs...just paying off what i owe.
  • I wouldn't do that. What if the landlord stops paying the mortgage? He gets repossessed, you get evicted and you'd have to get your money back off him.
    it is common to pay 6 months up front, even if it did get repossessed the mortgage company can not remove you from the property until your tenancy was up,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure