Taxed on per diem - can i claim tax relief ?

Options
bobula
bobula Posts: 63 Forumite
edited 8 February 2016 at 5:28PM in Cutting tax
I work world wide as an engineer - working for short periods(between 1 day and 6 weeks) in many different countries.

On top of my wage / Day rate when im abroad, I receive a per diem of 50USD flat rate for food which is given to me in my monthly pay itemized as "living allowance" This is then included rightly or wrongly - I'm not sure in my tax and NI contribution calculation.

A colleague has sent me through form https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-tax-relief-for-expenses-of-employment-p87

and reckons i can claim back tax relief for this "living allowance" under general expenses section.

How ever I'm an engineer not a tax accountant and it seems too easy to me. The only thing i do know is that it costs me more than i get after tax for eating in most countries.

Any guidance appreciated.

Comments

• booksurr
    booksurr Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    Options
    technically speaking the employer needs approval from HMRC to pay a per diem rate tax free otherwise it is classed as a round sum allowance and is taxed

when working overseas HMRC also publish specific rates based on allowances per country https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/359797/2014_Worldwide_subsistence_rates.pdf

at USD 50/day (covering I assume food only as accommodation is paid for another way?) you will in most cases be well below the max allowed. However that does not mean you can claim up to the allowed amount

you are however correct in thinking you can claim the difference between your actual (receipted) expenditure and the $50 you received. Obviously you get tax relief on that, not a refund of the actual value.
  • bobula
    bobula Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    cheers for the reply ,

yes accommodation is covered by the company , usually in a staff ho
    use or hotel.

so what your saying is that my 34 quid is taxable as wages and NI (which after tax is about 23 quid for 3 meals.... just about buys you a kebab in perth australia :D )

and i cant claim any relief for the fact the flat rate expenses its a taxable perk ....

bummer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport