Financial Assessment for PA award from Social Services

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 26 May 2016 at 5:35PM in Disability money matters
Hi

I wonder if someone more in the know can advise.

I have a 20 year old son with ASD. Social Services have decided to pay for 12 hours PA assistance for him. He's undergone a financial assessment to see how much he needs to pay towards this service.

They have correctly stated he gets full ESA.., but also said he gets Attendance Allowance (they say £55.10), which he doesn't. Honestly, he doesn't get this at all. The financial assessment form says they got the figures from the DWP. Wondering how the DWP could be saying he gets a benefit he never has received????? And how do I disprove he's getting this? Are bank statements enough?

As far as I understand it, attendance allowance is for those over 65.., my son is 20 and I've been claiming disability benefits since he was 11!

I do get carers allowance for him and his brother (£62.10) but its paid to me, not my son. My income support is reduced because of the carers allowance.

The 'attendance allowance' calculation is enough to take him over the earnings threshold.

Comments

• Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 May 2016 at 6:46PM
    Deanna,

Doe syour son get middle rate care dla? I ask this because £55.10 is middle dla care amount. Is it possible that they put the wrong benefit name down on the form?

Some counties take DLA as income when doing care financial assesments..

If he is only just over the earnings threshold he may have to pay a small contribution towards his care. Have they told you how much they expect him to contribute?

I pay towards my care weekly (its a direct debit from my account) but it is far less than I would pay if I had to buy in all the help myself.
  • davidplans
    davidplans Posts: 36 Forumite
    It's going to be difficult finding a PA on as little as 12 hours a week. I think you'll have to look into supported living providers which offer care services.
  • Stripeybat
    Stripeybat Posts: 47 Forumite
    davidplans wrote: »
    It's going to be difficult finding a PA on as little as 12 hours a week. I think you'll have to look into supported living providers which offer care services.

You can employ anyone with those direct payments, if that's what OP means. This might include friends, actual care agencies etc...

OP, I agree with Cyclamen- this sounds like a mistake for DLA if your son gets middle rate care. AA can also be £55.10 so it's possible it's just been wrongly selected. If the amount itself is totally wrong and your son doesn't claim PIP/DLA, definitely call to let them know! You're correct, Attendance Allowance is for those over 65 when their claim starts.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,948 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    it does seem like they have just named the wrong benefit, but the correct amount.

each council has its own rules regarding co funding payments.

i have a PA for 22 hours a week and i have to contribute 70% of my DLA care award towards the cost. ( just over £151 every 4 weeks)
  • davidplans
    davidplans Posts: 36 Forumite
    I get 21 hours a week and access to other 55 shared hours between 3 other people because I live supported living with other people and don't have to contribute anything towards care costs out my DLA because of 117 aftercare because I'm on a community treatment order.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes thank you, absolutely correct, it said Attendance Allowance but was the care component of DLA.

Apparently because I have my HB reduced because my older son is considered an independent adult (and should be paying rent), that will reduce to nil our contribution. Gotta get the paperwork from the council though. I have ASD too, and been totally obsessed about getting my sons room decorated. God knows how but have completely forgotten I need to get the HB situation clarified the last two days. Will do it tomorrow.

The PA service will be provided by a local office of the National Autistic Society. It will actually be 9.5 hours not 12 hours (SS's pay is too low apparently).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure