Do you ask for a doggy bag? Poll results/discussion

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I dont think I would have the courage if it was a posh-type restaurant or madly romantic meal out (but how often do either of those things happen for me anyways these days?;) ).

So - for ordinary everyday type meal out - then I've had a good "teacher" in that respect - a mother who goes out for meals complete with tupperware box in large handbag in readiness for leftovers! If all else fails - just wrap whatever in a paper napkin. Waste not, want not - after all its been paid for - and with visions floating in front of my eyes of many people in Haiti literally eating mud pies (instead of food) just to literally fill their stomachs :eek: :o - then I dont think I'd dare leave a morsel these days (knowing in their position I wouldnt do that - I'd just starve - and leave a few letters addressed to my Government and the local newspapers).

signed
    ceridwen

(who often thinks "the personal is political")
  • bevrob wrote: »
    I always take a couple of smallish freezer bags with me. I must admit when the waitress iant looking i take a few leftovers. I have always done this, but it genuinely has been for our dog. Once in a chinese restaurant i had got a vegetable curry and couldnt eat even half of it and i asked for it to take away. no problem at all. would still probably sneak out anything worthwhile!!!

What a good idea. Freezer bags take up no room at all in a pocket or bag. Then when you leave the restaurant, no one will interested in seeing what you're carrying out with you since you've paid for your food anyway.
  • a9w3
    a9w3 Posts: 8 Forumite
    i could never do that! i would be embaresed, i know there is nothing wrong with it but for me personally its a big fat no
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    I've sneaked the odd bit of naan out in a napkin, but other than that always ask & have never been refused

if they did, I'd never go back, their loss :confused:
    after all as I said above, we've paid for it, why shouldn't we take it home? & we should be able to do it openly & confidently & not feel bad/guilty/embarrassed about it

ceridwen, I'd never do it if it was a romantic dinner a deux :o but the posher the place is, the more likely I am to not want to leave what I've paid through the nose for! :D
  • V_tricky
    V_tricky Posts: 468 Forumite
    Most curry houses will do take away anyway, Pizza Express and pizza restaurants generally do take away as well, and Chinese restuarants so they're always more than happy to box it up, and in Nando's as they do take away too, they will bring the bag to the table and put it in there for you (presumably so you know that it's YOUR leftovers and not someone elses coming back to you!).

I've never received any snooty looks from anywhere I've asked, although I was worried that this would happen.

I never used to ask for tap water in restaurants either for fear of being seen as a peasant (even though Council Pop is my tipple of choice if I'm not drinking alcohol), however in these more ecologically conscious days, worried about food miles etc I'm more than happy to, and again, have not received any snottiness from restaurant staff for asking.

:smiley:
    :smiley: All posts made are my own opinions and constitute neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers :smiley:
  • No.Never asked.If the food isnt nice enough to eat up when I am in the restuarant I definately dont want to take it home with me too.If the food is good,it gets eaten there and then.
    I think our portions may be smaller than in USA so more of a need for doggy bags there I suppose.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • I've no problem and no embarrassment at all asking for leftover food to be bagged or boxed to take home (not scraps though - it has to be a sizeable portion). I usually have it for lunch the next day. Far better than trying to stuff it down and rolling out of the door, and my MSE ways won't let me leave it on the plate! Mind last meal I had out, I ended up taking my leftovers home in an empty margarine tub from the hotel kitchen - they obviously weren't geared up for this to happen regularly.

As for pizza - I usually leave a lot and generally the wait staff will ask if I want to take it home, so that's never a problem (in Pizza Hut).
  • Hmmm, doggy bags - a sore point.
    I only actually clicked a while ago what "doggy bag" actually meant. When I was younger I was a waitress in a big hotel, and I got asked quite a few times for a doggy bag. So me being the kind hearted person I was went into the kitchen and dug around in the "slops bin" (all the scraps off the plates which used to go to a local farmer) to get any bits of meat I could find.

So I'd give a large tin foil parcel to the customer, saying "I put a bit extra in for you" thinking their dog would be eating like a king that night, on all varieties of meats, including bits of other people's left over veg, gravy, soup, trifle, cakes...

Hope I didn't give anyone the trots!!
  • Swan_2
    I've no problem and no embarrassment at all asking for leftover food to be bagged or boxed to take home (not scraps though - it has to be a sizeable portion). I usually have it for lunch the next day. Far better than trying to stuff it down and rolling out of the door, and my MSE ways won't let me leave it on the plate!
    my sentiments exactly :)

also, I regularly dine out with a friend who'll treat a group of us & always orders up masses of extra food that he just wants a little taste of & there's no way we can ever get through it all, so home it goes :D
  • Swan_2
    Roodie wrote: »
    Hmmm, doggy bags - a sore point.
    I only actually clicked a while ago what "doggy bag" actually meant. When I was younger I was a waitress in a big hotel, and I got asked quite a few times for a doggy bag. So me being the kind hearted person I was went into the kitchen and dug around in the "slops bin" (all the scraps off the plates which used to go to a local farmer) to get any bits of meat I could find.

So I'd give a large tin foil parcel to the customer, saying "I put a bit extra in for you" thinking their dog would be eating like a king that night, on all varieties of meats, including bits of other people's left over veg, gravy, soup, trifle, cakes...

Hope I didn't give anyone the trots!!
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family