Getting money to pay for funeral, help?

A close friend of mine unfortunately passed away on Friday after a short battle with Leukemia.
I went to the funeral directors this morning with his sister and brother to make the final arrangements and it was explained that money was in very short supply.
The final total of the funeral is over £2000 which is just the basics, (no cars etc.) but his siblings have got to pay £975 before the funeral on Friday 20th.
It was explained that a grant can be applied for but that can take a few weeks and doesn't solve the problem of the £975.
My friend didn't own a house or have any pensions or insurance but he does have around £1500 in the bank.
How can she access this money to pay the funeral costs as she is worried she will be questioned as to why money has gone from the account after his death?
I hope I explained that ok, any advice please?

Thanks

Comments

• Oliver14
    Oliver14 Posts: 5,878 Forumite
    Cant Help you with funding. But every Funeral Director should offer a basic funeral which is a lot cheaper than you are quoting. They have a habit of not telling people about these.
    'The More I know about people the Better I like my Dog'
    Samuel Clemens
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    sarah7610 wrote: »
    My friend didn't own a house or have any pensions or insurance but he does have around £1500 in the bank.
    How can she access this money to pay the funeral costs as she is worried she will be questioned as to why money has gone from the account after his death?

As the next of kin, the sister or brother should approach the bank armed with the death certificate and the bill from the funeral directors. Almost certainly, the bank will pay £975 to the funeral directors.
  • antrobus wrote: »
    As the next of kin, the sister or brother should approach the bank armed with the death certificate and the bill from the funeral directors. Almost certainly, the bank will pay £975 to the funeral directors.

This is what we did when my mum died. The bank (Santander) paid the undertaker directly out of her account.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Oliver14 wrote: »
    Cant Help you with funding. But every Funeral Director should offer a basic funeral which is a lot cheaper than you are quoting. They have a habit of not telling people about these.

At £2k, that probably IS the basic funeral.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would suggest you get some more quotes, ring round and specifically ask each undertaker for the cost of their most basic funeral.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I wouldnt bother shopping around.

2K is extremely cheap for a funeral.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • sarah7610
    sarah7610 Posts: 148
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    This is a basic funeral.
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Forumite
    antrobus wrote: »

Funeral expenses are paid from the deceased's estate; I believe this is the only payment that can be made from the deceased's account before letters of administration or probate has been granted.

My husband's funeral is going to cost twice what the OP has been quoted, though we have not chosen the cheapest option. I would be upset if the funeral director asked me to pay up front though (mind you, this is the third one I've arranged with him and he knows his bills were settled promptly before - in both cases the deceased's bank paid the FD directly when I sent in the bill).

ETA: The FD we are using offers a basic service (crematorium) for £1,600.
  • GobbledyGook
    GobbledyGook Posts: 2,195 Forumite
    *Robin* wrote: »
    Funeral expenses are paid from the deceased's estate; I believe this is the only payment that can be made from the deceased's account before letters of administration or probate has been granted.

My husband's funeral is going to cost twice what the OP has been quoted, though we have not chosen the cheapest option. I would be upset if the funeral director asked me to pay up front though (mind you, this is the third one I've arranged with him and he knows his bills were settled promptly before - in both cases the deceased's bank paid the FD directly when I sent in the bill).

ETA: The FD we are using offers a basic service (crematorium) for £1,600.

Many funeral directors ask for the disbursements to be paid up front so it's something you should be prepared for.
  • zaxdog
    zaxdog Posts: 774
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I used to work in the "bereavement" team for HBOS and the bank HAS to settle the funeral expenses and should do so promptly on receipt of a death certificate and undertakers invoice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure