Elderly bedridden mother wants to go home - advice please!!!

Options

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nightsong wrote: »
    Several good ideas there for me to pursue and I won't mention it to the home, as you say they'll get the money in the end.

I would keep them informed. They will be used to residents and residents' families having problems at first getting money sorted out.

As long as they know why there are delays, they're usually very good at waiting for their money.
  • nightsong
    Options
    OK, yes I'll do that. They do already know that she won't have the money available straight away - I'll just keep them in the loop.
  • LL30
    LL30 Posts: 729 Forumite
    Options
    Very pleased that you've got a placement sorted, as you've experienced, it's not always an easy task. Definitely keep the home in the loop with regards to the money situation. Generally they're really good at 'start ups' and appreciate that it can take a little while to get things sorted financially, especially if you keep them up to date with what's happening.

Sounds like you've had some good ideas with regards to the bank problem. I've not encountered that particular issue myself, but I would echo sorting the POA if your Mum is amenable to this.

So sorry to hear about your loss, you really are going through it at the moment xxx
  • nightsong
    nightsong Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September 2014 at 11:56AM
    Options
    Well, she's in the nursing home and according to my aunt is quite content there - long may it last.

I've told the home about the delay with fees and once again they seemed very laid-back about it, so that's ok.

As usual, I have a couple of questions if anyone would be kind enough to help -

She has been awarded the nursing care allowance (is that what it's called ?) of about £110 per week, do I need to do anything to make sure the home gets this - is it automatically paid to them or does it need applying for?

Also, her hands are now so shaky that she can't sign anything. I'm looking into setting up a power of attorney for her. I did contact a local solicitor who will do it but charges £500 + VAT, that's without registering it - seems a lot, so I will try to do it myself I think. I understand someone can sign the papers for her?

I know we have left it very late to do this, not least because I believe they take about three months to register. I wish I had realised before that she could have given authority to her bank to let me sign cheques, that would have been simple. I thought it was PoA or nothing :( By the way her bank has been very unhelpful, when I ring I get a call centre, not her own branch, and they can only suggest internet or telephone banking neither of which she can manage. The local branch could only suggest PoA when my aunt went in and asked them.

Is it still worth dong PoA? Is it helpful to have when it comes to probate?

Also, she will have to give up her flat and tell the various utilities she's moved, i.e. I will have to do this. I'm guessing they won't just take my word for it and will require a letter signed by her ...

Next week is mostly taken up with preparing for my father in law's funeral, then I can get back to sorting this out. Life is not much fun at present.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2014 at 12:16PM
    Options
    nightsong wrote: »
    Is it still worth dong PoA? Is it helpful to have when it comes to probate?

Also, she will have to give up her flat and tell the various utilities she's moved, i.e. I will have to do this. I'm guessing they won't just take my word for it and will require a letter signed by her ...

POA would help with all of this sort of thing - though there may be easier alternatives.
    If the estate is complex - or especially if there are people on means tested benefits who are going to be recipients - a will is a really good thing to have, as it can setup the required trusts or other instruments.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September 2014 at 12:31PM
    Options
    She has been awarded the nursing care allowance (is that what it's called ?) of about £110 per week, do I need to do anything to make sure the home gets this - is it automatically paid to them or does it need applying for?
    It's been awarded by the NHS Clinical Care Commissioning Goup which will automatically pay it directly to the Home.

POA ceases immediately on the death of the donor so it will be of no benefit for probate.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • sheeps68
    Options
    I heard this last week the Age Concern can often point you in the direction of a solicitor who can sort the PoA for you often at much more reasonable costs. Now this may just be my local area or it may be countrywide. May be worth a quick call.
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    Yes, she should have a social worker.

About the chest infection, if - as you say - she constantly slips down in her chair and can't breathe then that will predispose to chest infection because she cannot breathe deeply and clear her lungs so fluid stagnates in the lungs and the next thing you know, chest infection. Yes, unlikely to develop in 6 hours but the likelihood is that predisposition was there, maybe a low-grade infection hovering around in the little alveoli in the lungs, unable to be cleared.

About getting funding for a paid nursing home place, experiences of others on this site show that it's extremely difficult to get. Extremely!

But not impossible. ;) Having spent several hours a day, for the past 3 months, researching all the available Government info on charges, all of which is available online, I will be paying less than a third of the figure I was first quoted. :j

Furthermore, if my husband's situation worsens, and it is deemed that he will need Nursing Home Care, instead of Residential Home Care, his contribution cannot increase, and may, in fact, be funded by the NHS.

LAs are autonomous, and what one may allow as expenses, another might not - but everything is worth querying. So many people, sadly, are worn down by the throttling red tape, and tend to agree to anything, for the sake of the wellbeing of their loved one.

xx
  • nightsong
    Options
    A final post on this thread. My mother died in hospital yesterday evening. Sadly I wasn't able to get there in time to be with her.

Thank you very much to everyone who has posted useful or comforting words here. You have helped me greatly over the last weeks and I have appreciated your support so much.
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear that xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts