BT 2013 price increases

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can't cancel without an ETC until the increases have been notified to you.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • rickbonar
    rickbonar Posts: 448 Forumite
    pawlala wrote: »
    What are the options in a non-cable area? I'm considering leaving BT. My ISP does line rental packages but is that the only choice for me, and how much of their profit is still passed on to BT for use of the exchange right to my door?

Well I'm in a non cable district myself believe or not in the Midlands.

I'm with talktalk and you probably see lots of complaints too about them although pricewise and as long as you don't phone their customer services they are OK. ..put it this way I find them (even with the odd glitch) a thousand times better than BT.

Also my mother has post office phones for her phone and plusnet for the internet. Both of which have been very good in her opinion .... again she'd say 10,000 times better than rip off BT.

I'm sure there are plenty of others too available that that you will thank yourself for changing to.
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    @Butterfly Brain and Pawlala I'm happy to get in touch with you about your accounts, send me your contact details using the webform in my bio and I'll be able to help.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • stewil18
    stewil18 Posts: 73 Forumite
    I've got to say, i am amazed people stay with BT at the prices they are, they simply aren't competitve.

It has taken me a good while to get my parents to see this way of thinking, but finally i have talked them round. They were paying a ridiculous amount with BT for line rental and capped broadband. They are now with Sky, with cheaper unlimited broadband, the same call package and now, Sky TV (entertainment package) for only £3 - £4 more a month than BT.

Its a pity BT didn't show as much interest in my parents prior to them leaving, only offering a sweetner deal when the line transfer had been noted....but only if they signed up to a 18 month contract.

Good riddance BT.
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    stewil18 wrote: »
    I've got to say, i am amazed people stay with BT at the prices they are, they simply aren't competitve.

I've got to fully agree with that.
    We were amazed at their market share, especially with their prices in what should be a competitive market.

BT will have to show to the city and the investors that they are making even bigger profits, year on year.
    One way to achieve this is to make their customers pay more = higher profits.
    They can then give those Directors (the big boys at the top) even bigger salaries and bigger bonuses (for performing so well) - paid for by charging their customers more!!

If you're happy to go along with that, stay with BT.

There are enough comparison sites out there now - it's not "rocket science".

To be fair, it's not just BT ................... sadly.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • Would cancelling because of the "detrimental charges" mean I wouldn't get the remainder of my Line Rental Saver payment back then? (I just joined BT a couple months ago on 18 month contract, so the change wouldn't affect me until about 10 months' time)
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    edited 28 August 2012 at 4:19PM
    Would cancelling because of the "detrimental charges" mean I wouldn't get the remainder of my Line Rental Saver payment back then? (I just joined BT a couple months ago on 18 month contract, so the change wouldn't affect me until about 10 months' time)

Will I be refunded any of my Line Rental Saver payment if I leave BT?"

No, your Line Rental Saver payment is non-refundable.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13962
  • Oops, didn't see that, thanks jhp.

At least I'll only have to put up with the increased rental for the last few months of my contract before I can ditch :)
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Comstock wrote: »
    In many cases you are now cheaper to use your mobile for daytime calls as well as calling other mobiles. I pay 8ppm for all calls (including mobiles and 08 numbers) on Tesco Mobile Lite. Some other networks are cheaper still to landlines (5ppm Lyca, Lebara) but charge more for mobiles and 08 numbers.

We are now in the crazy situation where the cheapest way to call another BT landline often ISN'T from your BT landline!!

No use www.18185.co.uk from your BT Line just 5p a call.
  • BT will reduce your line rental if you call them and tell them you're considering switching. I got my monthly line rental down to £10.60 from the usual £14.60 but I did have to agree to 12 month contract. This makes it cheaper than the plusnet line rental I was considering switching to even with the 6% price hike but i know it is slightly more expensive than some others like Primus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure