Barclays bank

Options
Hello there, I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I have with Barclays Bank. Approx 3 years ago i put my partners name on my account but after a while we parted. I went into the bank and asked them to remove my ex partners name from the account. They said they couldnt do this without his signature. This was a bit of a problem as I didnt know where he had gone, but i saw him one day and asked him to go and sort it out. He told me that he had already done it because he had been in to open an account in his own name. I had been recieving statements but they still had his name on them, again I approached the bank to be told I could open another account but id have to let all my direct debits know and as i (stupidly) felt this was a lot of hassle i didnt bother as my ex and i had been parted over 2 years by this time and nothing had ever gone wrong until now. I recieved a letter today from my ex with a bank statement in from the joint account saying that barclays were sending my statements to him. I immediately went into barclays and gave them my cash card and asked what address was on the account ( i asked to speak to the manager which I did). She said that the statement address was my ex's and the card was at my address and proceded to ask if this was my old address. I stated that i have lived at my address for 8 years and that the statement address should not have been changed without my say so as i am the first name on the account. She said it didnt matter whos name was on the account and as my ex had opened another account it had automatically been changed. I then stated that as i had been in on several occasions an attachment should have been put onto the account stating the situation so it could not automatically be changed. I then said that im appalled this had happened and also the fact they will not upgrade me to a banking account when they can see i handle my account well. she apologised and said she would do an application for an upgrade, i told her if it was refused this time i would close the account and go elsewhere.......guess what.....it was declined. she said because of a poor credit score. i told her that it was barclays credit scoring as there isnt a credit score as such and since i had problems in the past id got a mortgage and a credit card so my credit was obviously much improved. she said she was going to appeal the decision but not to hold out much hope. should i write to the banking ombudsman? I need help and was wondering what other people thought. sorry its a long one.

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Go to another bank and open a new account.
    You will have the hassle of changing D/D manually as they won't close a joint account on one signature but you will be rid of them.

VERY IMPORTANT - once the account balance is nil (ie you have withdrawn all the money) go back to Barclays and say there is a dispute on the account and that you want to have it blocked NOW. Don't leave the branch until you have confirmation this has been done.
    Any further debits to the account will be Barclays' problem not yours.
  • oscar52
    oscar52 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    Options
    I have a friend who had the exact same problem. Though you cant close the account, you CAN have your name removed from it - given all statements now go to your ex, it will essentially become his account.
    No Longer works for MBNA as of August 2010 - redundancy money will be nice though.

Proud to be a Friend of Niddy.
    no idea what my nerdnumber is - i am now officially nerd 229, no idea on my debt free date
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure