Really need some advice

After trying to sort debts out myself, things are spiralling out of control trying to sort personal and old self-employment debts. My earnings and the tax credits we receive aren't covering the bills. I sort one and end up with another.

Two days ago was the last straw, i physically cant do it anymore, i've received an attachment of earnings from our local council for £143. per month (3.5 mths worth). I physically can't afford this i've tried to reason with them and all they say is because i only offered them £20p/m for the debt they took the next step and they cannot stop it, the boss isnt impressed with it at all. We struggle now, its 2 days until payday and i'm already in financial hardship which is due to get worse at the end of august as my eldest has left school now. I really don't know the best way to turn. I wish i hadn't tried to do it myself i've now learnt seeking help may have been easier. Its making me ill.

Who is the best company to turn to to help us with this. I am the only one working at present, hubby is actively looking for work but no success yet. We do recieve tax credits as ive mentioned this is soon to be reduced as my eldest has left school and has fingers crossed got an apprenticeship. I applied for housing benefit which has been awarded at £17p/w (off the top of my head). Im struggling to feed myself and hubby as obviously i make sure the kids are sorted, my two sisters turned up last night with some food to help bless them, but theres nobody to help financially. We need help :-(, so embarrasing.

Thank you

Comments

• Vikipollard
    Vikipollard Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Didn't want to read and run.

I'd suggest contacting National Debtline, Stepchange, Christians Against Poverty or the Citizen's Advice Bureau. They can at least take a look at your incomings vs outgoings and check you are getting everything you are entitled to.

Sorry I don't have any more advice to give than that right now.
    LBM July 2006. Debt free 01 Sept 12 .. :T
    Finally joined Slimming World: weight loss 33lbs...target achieved 51wks later 06.05.13 & still there :j
    Aim to be mortgage free in 2022. Jan 17 33250 Nov 17 27066 Mar 18 24498 Sep 18 20608 Nov 18 19250 Jan 19 17980 Mar 19 16455 May 19 15024 Nov 19 10488 Feb 20 8150 May 20 5783 Aug 20. 3305 Nov 20 859 Mortgage free, 02.12.2020
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Sounds like you've got an attachment taking money at the 12% rate on a take-home of about £1200.

I can see £143 out of that is a big dent when your HB is small and you are only getting CB/CTC for one child(?)

If he has some class 1 contribution history, hubby may be able to get CBJSA for 6 months.

Other than that, how do you feel about posting a statement of affairs to see if we can find anything that can be cut for a bit.

Did you mean the council tax debt would be cleared in 3.5 months?
  • Apparently he can't claim any jsa as I work, he was claiming until I started work last year and we obviously informed them and they told us we weren't entitled to anything more.

I've got 3 children aged 11, 15 and 16 we get for all 3 until the end of August (unless eldest starts getting paid straight away on apprenticeship then it stops as soon as I notify them) .

Yes it's £1209 a month I receive from work and a 12% deduction for council tax.

I don't mind doing a statement of affairs, I know there's a few places things where it needs reeling in, but like my sky and our phones are in contracts. Just so much debt, searching around today I see a DRO option but unsure
  • Moneywhizz
    Moneywhizz Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You sound so stressed with all this. You should give christians against poverty a call. They give great support while sorting out your debt, and take a lot of the pressure off you.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Apparently he can't claim any jsa as I work, he was claiming until I started work last year and we obviously informed them and they told us we weren't entitled to anything more.

I've got 3 children aged 11, 15 and 16 we get for all 3 until the end of August (unless eldest starts getting paid straight away on apprenticeship then it stops as soon as I notify them) .

Yes it's £1209 a month I receive from work and a 12% deduction for council tax.

I don't mind doing a statement of affairs, I know there's a few places things where it needs reeling in, but like my sky and our phones are in contracts. Just so much debt, searching around today I see a DRO option but unsure

You're probably right about the JSA. I meant contribution based JSA, not income based. So it would require him to have a pretty full contribution history for12/13 and 13/14 and they probably checked this.

A DRO could help - all the organisations mentioned can do them, though the CAB do more than the others. If you post the soa we can see whether it's the way forward as we don't really have the detail at the moment.
  • mitsygirl79
    mitsygirl79 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Hubby is going to visit the jobcentre this morning about the CB JSA, on the plus side, he has just had a phone call for an interview at 11am today, only for 4 months work if he is offered it but im thinking its hopefully a turn for the good.

Thank you fatbelly, I'm just at work at the moment. I will get all our info out when i get home and post it up.

I am moneywhizz, i was trying to be proud and sort it but i havent managed it. So stressful.

I appreciate all your replies to date.
  • enjoyyourshoes
    enjoyyourshoes Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi with your phones contracts check with provider if you can reduce to a lower tariff.

I did this my sons phone after 1 year of 2 year contract, went from £35 to £14 (chose cheapest) check your T&C's first (yes those pages of minute type face that no one ever reads)

Do usual too- don't buy brands, scratch cook, buy in bulk, shop around for best food prices (or on line). We are family of 6 and I spend £80 per week for all food (including packed lunches which I prepare a week in advance and freeze)

Reduce every cost you conceivably think of, booze, fags, lotto, snacks, little treats, magazines, newspapers (Radio 4 is great to catch up on news and free), monthly DD/SO (check what you have and ascertain if they are still valid or you can do without)

Get family involved otherwise it will be just you against the World !
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • Hi enjoyyourshoes, contacting them is on my to do list, we renewed the contracts last year for them but either way i will be calling to see what can be done.

We dont drink or smoke (quit nearly 4 years ago), and dont buy treats etc theres never any spare money, my brother in law has actually taken 2 of my children to a big show today as a treat with my niece as we cant even do that at the minute, cant even afford a trip to the seaside unless weve got spare fuel, makes me feel awful as theres such peer pressure and my daughter has had so much bullying i try to make sure shes in a situation where they cant tease her or pick on her for not having nice or modern things (these are 15 year olds doing this :-(). Never bought branded food its hyped up, i buy from our nearest biggest one all their own brands which to be fair often tastes better personally. Ive found an online butcher highly recommended so will hopefully have a little spare to try their products,

I feel a huge relief from coming on here yesterday.
  • andyfromotley
    andyfromotley Posts: 2,038 Forumite
    Phone one of the debt charities urgently!!!
    £1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - [STRIKE]£23,410[/STRIKE] 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
    !
  • rockm87
    rockm87 Posts: 847 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Hi! and welcome to the boards.

Definitely don't wait, give Stepchange a call. They are a debt charity, who will help you for free.
    Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017
    Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
    Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills