MSE News: Waitrose to scrap free hot drinks offer in its cafes

Options

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    Options
    You'd think they might allow disabled people to sit in the cafe to drink their coffee. But no, they have refused this. :(
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'd think they might allow disabled people to sit in the cafe to drink their coffee. But no, they have refused this. :(

Equal rights for everyone! If disabled people want a free coffee to drink in, then they can purchase a cake to go with their coffee. Or just pay for the coffee.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @Kaylsh tweeted: "Unfortunately this leaves out the people with food intolerances as @waitrose doesn't provide gluten free snacks in the cafe."

First world problems....
  • I_have_spoken
    Options
    It was certainly attracting an undesirable demographic into the shops!
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I do £150 of shopping then go to the cafe, I can't have a free cup of coffee to drink in.

But if I buy an overpriced £3.50 sandwich, I can have a free coffee.

Doesn't make business sense to me? Surely you want the big shopper to come into your store?
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    First world problems....

Clearly someone who's never heard of fruit too. Apples were gluten-free last time I checked!
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Huh?
    You're annoyed you're no longer getting something FOR FREE?! Give me a break!

You'll go back to Costa? What, and pay?!

Sorry, I must be missing something here...

Exactly what I was thinking
    glider3560 wrote: »
    If I do £150 of shopping then go to the cafe, I can't have a free cup of coffee to drink in.

Doesn't make business sense to me? Surely you want the big shopper to come into your store?

I don't know of any other supermarkets that have cafes and offer free drinks. I do see your argument, but if you don't want a sarnie, then the other option is to pay for just a coffee perhaps, likely to be cheaper than a sandwich you don't want?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• MARTYM8`
    MARTYM8` Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Such a non story.

Free take away coffee - drunk by the vast majority of those who take advantage of the benefit - is still free.

If you want to sit in the cafe area, read the paper and use the wifi you still get a free coffee but have to buy a cake or biscuit as well - given that their cookies only cost 50p whats the big deal?

The coffee is still free - and for 50p you can get a free coffee and a cookie and a seat! Still a good deal.
  • sinizterguy
    sinizterguy Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    Options

The two are independent factors. Seeing as the competition does not offer a nice cafe like Waitrose, your shopping decision when you think with a clear mind, is unlikely to be defined by the availability of a free coffee.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

They want you to come in to the store and spend on shopping, hence the offer of a free take-away coffee with your shopping.

They want people to go into the cafe and buy lunch, a cake or a snack when sitting in. Think of the cafe as seperate to the store, free coffee doesn't make the cafe any money, but cleaning tables etc costs them more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure