IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking ticket in own bay No Permit - appeal rejected

Comments

• aleks1244
    aleks1244 Posts: 75 Forumite
    This is what i have found - this was all copied and pasted

1) It is admitted that the Defendant is the registered keeper of the vehicle in question.

2) The Particulars of the Claim submitted to the Defendant provide no statement to the nature of the claim and the Defendant does not believe these particulars to be compliant with Civil Procedure Rules 16.4 nor Practice Direction 16 7.3-7.5 inhibiting the ability of the Defendant to provide a comprehensive and conclusive defence.

3) The Defendant has prepared the defence on the presumption that the alleged parking contravention is in reference to an occasion whereby the Defendant’s vehicle was parked in an allocated leasehold residential parking space at the home address of the Defendant.

4) The Defendant denies that the Claimant has the authority to bring a claim. The Claimant does not own the land where the vehicle was parked, nor does he have any interest in the land. He therefore lacks the capacity to offer parking.

a) The Claimant has failed to provide strict proof of a chain of contracts leading from the landowner to the Claimant which show that they have a right to unilaterally remove or interfere with the overriding rights conferred in the Lease.

b) Alternatively, even if a contract could be established, the provision requiring payment of £139.00 is an unenforceable penalty clause and an unfair term contrary to the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

5) The Defendant believes that his personal details have been obtained unlawfully by the Claimant and asks that the Court does not to assist the Claimant to benefit from a wrongdoing. (Ex turpi causa non oritur action).

6) The Defendant has no liability as they are the keeper of the vehicle and the Claimant has failed to comply with the strict provisions of POFA 2012 to hold anyone other than the driver liable for the charges.

a) The driver has not been evidenced on any occasion.

b) There is no presumption in law that the keeper was the driver and nor is the keeper obliged to name the driver to a private parking firm. This was confirmed in the POPLA Annual Report 2015 by the POPLA Lead Adjudicator and the barrister, Henry Gleenslade, when explaining the POFA 2012 principles of ‘keeper liability’ as set out in Schedule 4.

7) The Particulars of Claim do not give any reasons why the Claimant requires a payment other than it results from the ‘Parking Rules’ on the signage. It is a forbidding sign that cannot create a contract. In the cases of B4GF26K6 PCM (UK) v Mr B, B4GF27K3 PCM (UK) v Mr W and B4GF26K2 PCM (UK) v Ms L it was demonstrated that forbidding signage at residential parking spaces did not create a contract.

8) The presence of the Claimant on the land will have supposedly been to prevent parking by uninvited persons, for the benefit of the actual leaseholders and their invited guests. Instead a predatory operation has been carried out on those very people whose interests the Claimant was purportedly there to uphold.

a) The vehicle was parked on land in accordance with the terms of the Lease.

9) In the case of Saeed v Plustrade Limited [2001] EWCA Civ 2011 parking restrictions and a change which caused detriment to tenants and their visitors were held to be in breach of the well-known and well established principle that ‘a grantor shall not derogate from his grant’

10) This case can be distinguished from ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 (the Beavis case) which was dependent upon an undenied contract, formed by unusually prominent signage forming a clear offer and which turned on unique facts regarding the location and interests of the landowner. Strict compliance with the BPA(CoP) was paramount and Mr Beavis was the driver who saw the signs and entered into a contract to pay £85 after exceeding a licence to park free. None of this applies in this material case.

a) In Beavis it was held that the purpose of a parking charge must not be to penalise drivers. Justification must depend on some other ‘legitimate interest in performance extending beyond the prospect of pecuniary compensation flowing directly from the breach in question’. The true test was held to be ‘whether the impugned provision is a secondary obligation which imposes detriment on the contract-breaker out of all proportion to any legitimate interest […..] in enforcement of the primary obligation’

b) There can be no ‘legitimate interest’ in penalising residents or their visitors for using parking spaces, under the excuse of a scheme where ostensibly and as far as the landowner is concerned, the parking firm is contracted for the benefit of the residents. It is unconscionable, contrary to the requirement of good faith and ‘out of all proportion to any legitimate interest’ to fine residents or their visitors for using allocated parking spaces.

11) The exact question regarding terms in a lease was tested recently at Oxford County Court, JOPSON v HOME GUARD SERVICES, Appeal case number B9GF0A9E on 29/9/2016. I will include the transcript of that case at any hearing.

a) The Jopson Appeal case is a persuasive Appeal decision, where Senior Circuit Judge Charles Harris QC found that Home Guard Services had acted unreasonably when issuing a penalty charge notice to Miss Jopson, a resident of a block of flats.

12) The Defendant also relies upon the Croydon Court decision in Pace Recovery and Storage v Mr N C6GF14FO 16/9/2016, where District Judge Coonan dismissed the claim and refused leave to appeal, having found that a third party parking firm cannot unilaterally alter the terms of the tenancy agreement.

13) The Defendant disputes that the Claimant has incurred solicitors costs of £50 to prepare the claim. The Defendant refers the Court to the incompetent Particulars of Claim that disclose neither the basis for the claim nor a definite cause of action.

14) The Claimant’s solicitors are known to be a serial issuer of generic claims similar to this one, with no due diligence, no scrutiny of details nor even checking for a true cause of action. HMCS have identified over 1000 similar poorly produced claims and the solicitor's conduct in many of these cases is believed to be currently the subject of an active investigation by the SRA.

15) I believe the term for such conduct is ‘robo-claims’ which is against the public interest, demonstrates a disregard for the dignity of the court and is unfair on unrepresented consumers. I have reason to believe that this is a claim that will proceed without any facts or evidence supplied until the last possible minute, to my significant detriment as an unrepresented Defendant.

16) I suggest that parking companies using the small claims track as a form of aggressive, automated debt collection is not something the courts should be seen to support.

17) It is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. The proper Claimant (if any debt exists, which is denied) would be the landowner.

18) I request the court strike out this claim for the reasons stated above, and for similar reasons cited by District Judge Cross of St Albans County Court on 20/09/16 where a similar claim was struck out without a hearing, due to Gladstones' template particulars for a private parking firm being 'incoherent', failing to comply with CPR16.4, and ''providing no facts that could give rise to any apparent claim in law''.

I believe the facts stated in this Defence Statement are true.

---

is this what i need to do? is this the reply to Gladstone solicitors or to the county court if there is a claim?

im lost im very Green when it comes to writinG
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 January 2017 at 3:41PM
    That's a defence. You don't need a defence yet if you only have a LBCCC. It is not at court papers stage yet, is it?

You are rushing this, most people would take a good 24/48 hours to read other LBCCC threads, not read one and copy the wrong thing within 20 minutes. When you get to defence stage you can't just copy one verbatim. It has to suit your case, but you are not there yet.

You are at LBCCC response stage. Search again in the morning and look for simple but assertive responses.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Dear Sir

Ref : xxx

I have received your Letter Before County Court Claim dated XXth XXXXXXX 2016.

I deny any debt to Parking Control Management (UK) Ltd

The tenancy agreement gives Mr [A. redacted] the right to park on the estate and it does not say “on condition that you display a permit”, breach of Quiet enjoyment.

Please tell me who owns the car park as I wish to send them a copy of this letter.

You cannot presume that I possess all the documents referred to in your letter. Please send me copies of all the documents sent by the client including the windscreen notice if one was attached to the vehicle.

Contractual Authority (as required by BPA Ltd AOS CoP B.7)
    Please provide me with a copy of the contract between your company and the landowner/landholder that provides the necessary contractual written authority for the issue and enforcement of your Parking Charge Notice - Notice to keeper. When these are supplied, please also confirm whether the intended action is founded on a contractual charge, a breach of a contract or trespass.

When I receive the documents and your explanations I will be in a position to make a more detailed response
    It would be unreasonable to proceed with litigation before you have clarified your client's cause of action.

I look forward to your response

Yours Faithfully

Mr A Ros

is this ok, for the first letter? is this something i should send by post or can it be by email??
  • aleks1244
    please confirm asap if yes i will send off now

thanks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 January 2017 at 8:50PM
    I would add more (and it is traditional to address solicitors 'Dear Sirs'):

Dear Sirs,

Ref : xxx

I have received your Letter Before County Court Claim dated XXth XXXXXXX 2016.

I deny any debt to Parking Control Management (UK) Ltd. The tenancy agreement [STRIKE]gives [/STRIKE][STRIKE]Mr [A. redacted] the[/STRIKE] grants an unequivocal right to park on the estate and it does not say “on condition that you display a permit”, breach of Quiet enjoyment.

Car Parking is covered in several places in my Assured Shorthold Tenancy and this grants me primacy of contract. The AST allows residents of my flat and visitors:

''To park private vehicle(s) only at the Property.
    To park in the space, garage or driveway allocated to the Property, if applicable.''

The only obligations are:
    ''To keep any garage, driveway, or parking space free of oil and to pay for the removal and cleaning of any spillage caused by a vehicle of the Tenant, his family, contractors or visitors.

Not to park any vehicle at the Property which is not in road worthy condition and fully taxed.

Not to store or keep on the Premises or any communal car park any boat, caravan or commercial vehicle without the prior written consent of the Landlord or his agent.''

Please tell me who owns the car park as I wish to send them a copy of this letter and I will in due course, include them in any claim I decide to make for misuse of my data under the DPA. Data was obtained from the DVLA under false pretences by a parking firm who do not have primacy of contract and were in fact trespassing in my bay.

You cannot presume that I possess all the documents referred to in your letter. Please send me copies of all the documents sent by the client including the windscreen notice if one was attached to the vehicle.

[STRIKE]Contractual Authority (as required by BPA Ltd AOS CoP B.7)
    Please provide me with a copy of the contract between your company and the landowner/landholder that provides the necessary contractual written authority for the issue and enforcement of your Parking Charge Notice - Notice to keeper. When these are supplied, please also confirm whether the intended action is founded on a contractual charge, a breach of a contract or trespass. [/STRIKE]

When I receive the documents and your explanations I will be in a position to make a more detailed response. It would be unreasonable to proceed with litigation before you have clarified your client's cause of action and what steps they took (if any) to check residents' rights of way and rights to park under their leases, before enforcing in bays and trespassing. Kindly instruct your client to cease and desist, since I am in a position to sue them as jointly and severally liable, together with the landowner (their client), for data misuse by obtaining my personal DVLA data without reasonable cause, regarding a location where tenants have pre-existing rights to park which cannot be varied by a third party parking firm by putting a few signs up.

I look forward to your response.

Yours Faithfully

Mr xxxxxx
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • aleks1244
    edited 9 January 2017 at 5:37PM
    Thank you so much for your help, im 22 and after reading this i would have never come close to what you have written for me!

i will change the colour, remove what you have crossed out for me and send it off, should i do it by email which i found on there website? [EMAIL="enquiries@gladstonessolicitors.co.uk"]enquiries@gladstonessolicitors.co.uk ??
    [/EMAIL]
  • aleks1244
    or is it better to send by post?
  • catfunt
    catfunt Posts: 624 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Personally, I'd send it by post and get a free proof of posting from the Post Office (Don't use recorded).

Wait for comment from others though.
  • aleks1244
    thanks for reply if you think so i will wait and see what other say
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Just post it off with free cert of posting. Then read this:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/ukpc-lose-residential-case-charge-not.html
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport