Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Comments

• JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Notice that the free TV or laptop offer (new customers) has ended, is that likely to back soon?
  • I have created my MSE account specifically for this post:

Just got off the phone to sky after about an hour of trying the haggling tricks suggested on this and other forums and finished up with them cancelling my whole subscription after 11 years of service.

I have (or had) Sky Q 2TB Multiroom with boxsets, sky fibre unlimited pro and a basic sky talk package. My bills were £93 so the thought off 50% or even 60% off sounded wonderful.

I spoke to a woman for about 40 minutes about reducing my package in order to reduce the bill without being offered any hint of a discount on my current deal. After standing strong and using the lines about "freeview being good enough for me", etc She eventually transferred me to what I assumed was the fabled, "retentions" department. Unfortunately this was to confirm my cancellation and set the date for my internet to be cut to give me time to arrange a new provider. The man I spoke to also offered nothing in the way of a discount or deal.

Let me be clear here. I had no intention of leaving sky!

I wasn't even given an offer of rounding my bill down to £90 per month, which I probably would've accepted. Furthermore, once the process of cancelling had begun, I wasn't even asked "are you sure?" or anything similar. Despite having my custom since 2005 and me never missing a payment or complaining about anything, They seemed happy to let me go.

Maybe I did it wrong but I spoke to 2 different people and have been left feeling exactly like the average British person would expect to feel after attempting to haggle with a corporation, ridiculous and embarrassed.

On a potential positive note - The call only ended about 30 minutes ago so i suppose there is still time for them to call back or send me an email offer but as it stands I'm looking at deals from virgin media whilst contemplating an undignified apology call back to sky.

I will report back if I receive any offers at all from sky.
  • Marcio45
    Marcio45 Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    When dealing with retentions, i believe they look at your history with them. If you have been with them for 11 years, they tend to think that you are just giving bluff, that you dont really intend to leave.
    People that have been with them for long dont normally get good deals, until after cancelation. And then they see you were serious. And their theory if proved by yourself.
    I do cancel as a routine every years, and always get offered deals to stay. And they can see that i am serious on my costumer history. I do cancel and i am prepared do find alternatives. I just did it with Virgin for broadband and Sky TV is due to be cancelled in a week.
    I will get BT installed in ten days for fibre. And if Sky dont give me a good deal i can get BT TV for £13 with the channels i really want and need.
    Loyalty is worth nothing for these companies, that is why people keep jumping from one side to the other. It is annoying, but i can save hundreds every year.
    By the way, look at your Sky account webpage, you probably have an offer already for TV, normally for 50% (TV only).
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I have created my MSE account specifically for this post:

Just got off the phone to sky after about an hour of trying the haggling tricks suggested on this and other forums and finished up with them cancelling my whole subscription after 11 years of service.

I have (or had) Sky Q 2TB Multiroom with boxsets, sky fibre unlimited pro and a basic sky talk package. My bills were £93 so the thought off 50% or even 60% off sounded wonderful.

I spoke to a woman for about 40 minutes about reducing my package in order to reduce the bill without being offered any hint of a discount on my current deal. After standing strong and using the lines about "freeview being good enough for me", etc She eventually transferred me to what I assumed was the fabled, "retentions" department. Unfortunately this was to confirm my cancellation and set the date for my internet to be cut to give me time to arrange a new provider. The man I spoke to also offered nothing in the way of a discount or deal.

I wasn't even given an offer of rounding my bill down to £90 per month, which I probably would've accepted. Furthermore, once the process of cancelling had begun, I wasn't even asked "are you sure?" or anything similar. Despite having my custom since 2005 and me never missing a payment or complaining about anything, They seemed happy to let me go.

Maybe I did it wrong but I spoke to 2 different people and have been left feeling exactly like the average British person would expect to feel after attempting to haggle with a corporation, ridiculous and embarrassed.

On a potential positive note - The call only ended about 30 minutes ago so i suppose there is still time for them to call back or send me an email offer but as it stands I'm looking at deals from virgin media whilst contemplating an undignified apology call back to sky.

I will report back if I receive any offers at all from sky.

If you read through this thread, you'll know don't get offers when you call to cancel. You actually have to cancel.

Sky are not stupid and it's game of chicken really. Especially with people like yourselves who have been paying them for 11 years. Think about it, they correctly sussed that you have no intention of leaving so why would they offer you money off? You may even have to go through having it switched off for a while if you have been paying full price for so long.

On another note, if you have got Sky Q are you sure you're not still not within the first year of your contract? Unless you upgraded and they didn't tie yo to a new deal?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    [QUOTE=drummer_290;71427096

[/QUOTE]

That is your problem, as they rarely fall for bluffs.

I have cancelled, but any offers made were not up to previous ones; no credits offered this time; the max being 60% off but the offer only lasted about 5 days, then disappeared.

Beyond free broad band, deteriorating to half price broadband, they were not interested in a phone/bb haggle at all.
  • Thanks for the replies. I'd just like to clear something up. I have cancelled my contract with sky. I didn't intend to at all when I called them but I have done.

This was after going through the processes of asking for a better price etc. Eventually, I reluctantly suggested leaving sky altogether to save money and they basically obliged and barely gave me a chance to change my mind.

I feel stupid now but I genuinely thought that when they said they were processing my application to leave that they were really just waiting for a few minutes for me to change my mind so I played the game, didn't fill the silences, as Martin advises and went along with it all. It simply didn't work.
    I'm hoping that something will turn up in the my-sky inbox in the next few days.
  • Thanks for the replies. I'd just like to clear something up. I have cancelled my contract with sky. I didn't intend to at all when I called them but I have done.

This was after going through the processes of asking for a better price etc. Eventually, I reluctantly suggested leaving sky altogether to save money and they basically obliged and barely gave me a chance to change my mind.

I feel stupid now but I genuinely thought that when they said they were processing my application to leave that they were really just waiting for a few minutes for me to change my mind so I played the game, didn't fill the silences, as Martin advises and went along with it all. It simply didn't work.
    I'm hoping that something will turn up in the my-sky inbox in the next few days.

Give Sky a call back to stop your b/band and phone cancellation. Then speak to other suppliers (like VM, BT and T/talk) to get a view of prices. If you want to leave Sky b/band and phone after speaking to them, then move to them and get them to arrange a transfer to them from sky; otherwise you will lose your b/band and phone within 2 weeks. I assume that you are not in contract so you will not be penalised by sky by leaving your contract 'early'.

With regs your TV, as long as you are not in contract with sky for your tv, give sky a call and arrange to cancel your tv separately from your b/band and phone. If you are not in contract, just give them 30 days notice to cancel your tv and you won't be charged anything for early termination. You will then get offers on your TV; probably at least 50% off.

Good luck and HTHS.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Firstly, you only called them 6 hours ago. You have 30 days left so there really isn't any need to panic!

Secondly, have you been paying full price for 11 years? If so, as I said, Sky will think you will not be willing to leave and are calling your bluff.

If you have been paying full price for over a decade you may have to be prepared for your TV to be switched off (even if only briefly) before you get the 50/60% offers.

Of course, you may get a 60% off offer tomorrow. Buton the other hand you may not. Do take the advice in the above post re BB though.

Good luck with it.
  • merx8
    merx8 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Have you checked your account yet since cancelling either online or via the account access on sky box? I'm willing to bet money they have already offered you 50% off for 10 months which is the retention offer being wheeled out to cancelled accounts this week and next week.

Check on your account, you will almost certainly see the offer within hours of cancelling. Hold your nerve, the next offer will be 50% for 12 months or 60% for 12 months

Don't worry you have to go through the motion of cancelling to get offers. if you are happy with your services and don't want to move providers this is my advice. Negotiate your tv separately to your BB/phone. That way you get offers on both rather than a package deal. I believe you have 31 days for tv and 14 days for Bb/phone before cut off, but don't leave it too late with your BB.

I cancelled tv then logged on to sky chat 'thinking of coming back to sky' a week or so later. I got 60% off plus £50 credit, after turning down the first couple of offers. I told them my 'friend' had a better deal and mentioned the best I'd seen posted on here at the time.

Then I cancelled BB/phone, waited a few days then rang the BB/phone retention department and asked what deals they had to change my mind about going through with the cancellation. They initially offered free BB but I declined saying I wanted free line rental, which I'd had the year before, so that's what they gave me. Make sure you find the current cheapest BB deal on the market to use as a negotiating tool, even if you dont intend to switch to it.

I know you've cancelled them together but you could reinstate them separately, just make sure you're clear what you want reinstating so they don't automatically reinstate everything together. Unfortunately I don't know if it makes a difference which you negotiate first. Good luck.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback