MoneySaving Poll: Where is it fair to haggle?

Poll started 1 March 2016

Where is it fair to haggle?

Haggling’s a key tool in any MoneySaver’s arsenal – after all even a price tag is only an indicative mark – it’s not legally binding. Many succeed in haggling prices down from Sky to Tesco, the AA to John Lewis.

Yet is haggling acceptable everywhere?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• jgriggle
    jgriggle Posts: 165 Forumite
    Restaurants, pubs and taxis are all situations where you pay afterwards. To use the goods and services and then haggle on price is not on.
  • jgriggle wrote: »
    Restaurants, pubs and taxis are all situations where you pay afterwards. To use the goods and services and then haggle on price is not on.

Ah but you can haggle with a driver before you get into a taxi.
    It would usually cost about £12 to get from the city centre to our house but I can usually save a bit of money. The conversation goes something like this:
    Me: How much would it cost to get to _____?
    Taxi driver: £11 or £12
    Me: I have a tenner, would that do?
    Taxi driver: Fine

Haggling is all contextual. You can haggle in any of those locations mentioned in the poll if the context is right. Yet there will always be situations when it is just doesn't feel right.
  • Well_excuse_me.
    Well_excuse_me. Posts: 1,166 Forumite
    jgriggle wrote: »
    Do you really consume goods and services without knowing the price ?
    Hi, we’ve decided to remove your signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure