PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What are the meals you have never tried /cooked for what ever reason

Comments

• I'm not even trying to make a list for A 'overrated' but will happily state that I simply will not entertain the idea of:

1. Mushrooms
    2. Offal
    and also
    3. Cooked brassicas (all of them, although coleslaw is delicious.)

There are other things, like Spam, squid, mussels, that I'm not keen on the idea of, but if you put it on my plate I'd have a go.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • maman wrote: »
    I had samphire last week which is close to seaweed and enjoyed it.

And don't knock laverbread until you've tried it. With a plate of fried bacon and cockles it's yummy!:D

I tried samphire and wasnt struck. It would be a starvation food in my book.

I've had laverbread as well - clue being = recently, ie since I moved to Wales. It's okay but nowt to write home about imo.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Positively will not try: kidneys. I did my O level biology, I know what they do, & you're not convincing me they're a foodstuff by contaminating chunks of steak with their proximity.
    Nor tripe, by repute. "Boiled knitting", apparently - if you're prepared to (convincingly) disguise it as haggis, I'm fine though.

Frankly cannot be bothered to cook: Cauliflower cheese. I can make a glorious cheese sauce. Just I have 4 menfolk in the house who presented with a cauliflower suddenly have a passionate urge to be in any other room, or indeed county. I pick my culinary fights carefully - even macaroni cheese has to have bacon added before they'll eat it.

A bit leery of: Chilli.
    I like flavour, not having my entrails scorched from tastebuds all the way through...

Other than that, I will give most food a bash - including kale. (Tell you it's a brilliant diet food - it's So Good for you, you only want to eat a few bites before you feel you've had enough to eat!)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Ive not tried sushi.... or butternut squash. The nearest i came to pumpkin was in a pie.

I had a sharon fruit the other week. I wasnt impressed.
  • minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Sweetbreads and brawn. My grandad always had brawn in the fridge, it looked and smelt vile :eek: As for sweetbreads, they're glands, even the word makes me heave :o
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    My late ma-in law used to make brawn and my OH loved it but to me anything that has any jelly like substance in is not my cup of tea. Who remembers back in the late 1960s those awful tins of pink Olde Oak Ham that were sold at Christmas full of gelatine, yuk. :)

Unless of course its actually proper jelly and custard :)

I think the stir-fry thing is perhaps generational, as to me you fry eggs bacon and bangers, but not veg apart from mushrooms .My DDs eat it and enjoy it, but they are obviously a younger generation than I am. I dislike fried tomatoes as well tomatoes to me are cold sliced and in a salad. but then I also like tomatoes sliced up cold and sprinkled with sugar, something my late mum did to use up excess ones from the garden
  • Almonds, coconut and oysters are on my don't eat list.

It's strange cause I like Stolen but not marzipan.
    Not liking coconut can make choosing a curry when eating out difficult, so many have coconut milk in them.
    I have tried oysters once and won't bother again...gritty, slimy things.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,111
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Because ... you can't simply have a teaspoon of something to taste and walk away if you hate it. You have to commit to buying something ...a whole something.... and then eat/use it all up.
    This is certainly why I've never tried some things. But I've discovered I like thai green curry (and prefer it to hot) because I tried it at a 'eat the world buffet'. If this wasn't something I was able to do though, I'd just have to remain none the wiser.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,961
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Will not eat:
    Fish of any type - yeugh
    The aforementioned tripe, kidney
    Honey
    Rabbit
    Cheese omelette- it's the texture not the ingredients

Will avoid if possible:
    Celery
    Jams
    Olives etc
    Pickled anything except Saurkraut

Not keen on but don't hate:
    Steak unless I cook it myself
    Beef generally

Really enjoy eating:
    Lamb
    Pork
    Chinese food
    Liver
    Cauliflower / leeks / peas / mange tout
    Eggs
    Chicken - not whole ones, too much faffing and pulling apart.
    Puddings
    Nuts
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,663
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I haven't eaten meat for nearly 30 years. I do still eat fish, I enjoy prawns and battered fish but I will not try any other shell fish. I really don't like the idea of strange other fish, catfish and talapia (sp) no thankyou.

I will eat any veg, fruit, grains, salad. But I do not like lettuce and cheese together.

My son has eaten some weird things he went out for a meal I think in Canada where they served rotisserie rabbit and the ears were a bit of a delicacy as they were all crunchy. Another time he had fish, but they served the flesh and deep fried the bones which were also eaten.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure