Is this right? B&Q refund to credit note when part pay with Gift Card?

Comments

• mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Its down to the terms and conditions of the retailer - which they have told you - so i suspect you are stuffed.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    gener8or wrote: »
    This stinks. You should first get your cash returned and anything left on the gift card value is the last resort, exactly as amazon do.
    There's a big difference, the op bought in store, amazon only do on-line purchases.
  • gener8or wrote: »
    This stinks. You should first get your cash returned and anything left on the gift card value is the last resort, exactly as amazon do.

Same thing happened to me.

Why "should" this happen?

The shop are taking back something that somebody bought, purely of their own volition, that was absolutely fine and fit for purpose.

Why on earth "should" the shop have to do anything?

If B&Q went round his house as he was about to start painting, took all their goods back and left a refund because they had changed their mind, would you say "it stinks" if he were to protest?
  • paulbeard
    paulbeard Posts: 19 Forumite
    Why "should" this happen?

The shop are taking back something that somebody bought, purely of their own volition, that was absolutely fine and fit for purpose.

Why on earth "should" the shop have to do anything?

If B&Q went round his house as he was about to start painting, took all their goods back and left a refund because they had changed their mind, would you say "it stinks" if he were to protest?

Fair point, but I'm pretty sure B&Q have run a marketing campaign saying an approximation of "buy more than you need and bring back what you don't use." That changes the 'spirit' of the transaction as it encourages the practice and leads you to think you'll get back cash and not a credit note.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    paulbeard wrote: »
    Fair point, but I'm pretty sure B&Q have run a marketing campaign saying an approximation of "buy more than you need and bring back what you don't use." That changes the 'spirit' of the transaction as it encourages the practice and leads you to think you'll get back cash and not a credit note.

And you would have had the cash back if you had paid entirely by cash, as you chose to use a voucher they chose to refund that instead. As a business it doesn't many any sense to refund the cash which you can then spend anywhere when the original payment included a voucher, almost any business would protect their profits and issue the refund in a form that will be re-spent with them and before anyone calls that poor customer service it's really not when you consider the fact you can have a change of mind return at all is well above what consumer laws allow and quite generous of them as a business as a way of providing even better service.
  • paulbeard
    paulbeard Posts: 19 Forumite
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    And you would have had the cash back if you had paid entirely by cash, as you chose to use a voucher they chose to refund that instead. As a business it doesn't many any sense to refund the cash which you can then spend anywhere when the original payment included a voucher, almost any business would protect their profits and issue the refund in a form that will be re-spent with them and before anyone calls that poor customer service it's really not when you consider the fact you can have a change of mind return at all is well above what consumer laws allow and quite generous of them as a business as a way of providing even better service.

With reference to whether or not the customer perceives this as poor customer service, the pertinent question is will this customer now return to B&Q in preference to any other retailer: probably not. This is a consumer led marketplace.

I totally accept your point from a business viewpoint but reject it as a consumer with a large market place to turn to (although I guess competitors would probably have done the same thing ;) )
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    paulbeard wrote: »
    With reference to whether or not the customer perceives this as poor customer service, the pertinent question is will this customer now return to B&Q in preference to any other retailer: probably not. This is a consumer led marketplace.

I totally accept your point from a business viewpoint but reject it as a consumer with a large market place to turn to (although I guess competitors would probably have done the same thing ;) )

Yes, to spend their gift voucher!
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    They have to do this because otherwise you could 'liquidate' gift vouchers by simply spending them in a mixed transaction and then returning some of the goods.
    The only way to avoid is is to make two separate transactions, effectively 'ringfencing' the voucher-bought goods (the ones you are least likely to need to return) and then being able to return the rest of your purchases for cash.
  • pompeii
    pompeii Posts: 257 Forumite
    just returned 1 faulty item and 2 that were the wrong size, I paid for them all on a B&Q gift card and expected the refund back onto the gift card. Cant be done and can only have a credit note. B&Q say you have 45days from purchace for a refund on back of the receipt,
    The B&Q Gift cards are valid for at least 2 years. the credit note is only valid 12 months.
    Never had this happen with, M&S, Boots, TK MAXX or any other gift card.
    I don't expect cash back but have always been refunded by the way i've paid in the past.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    pompeii wrote: »
    just returned 1 faulty item and 2 that were the wrong size, I paid for them all on a B&Q gift card and expected the refund back onto the gift card. Cant be done and can only have a credit note. B&Q say you have 45days from purchace for a refund on back of the receipt,
    The B&Q Gift cards are valid for at least 2 years. the credit note is only valid 12 months.
    Never had this happen with, M&S, Boots, TK MAXX or any other gift card.
    I don't expect cash back but have always been refunded by the way i've paid in the past.

Use the credit voucher to buy a gift card. Sorted :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure