PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2015 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• theblackrose
    theblackrose Posts: 64 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2015 at 3:57PM
    Options
    Hi everyone

I'm new to all this but am desperate to learn from everyone. Our budget has always been £400 for 3 people & 6 cats but my dad sadly & suddenly passed away at the end of July. We are now trying to survive on £200 a month. SO far we've managed to get through at just over £250 but I'm hoping after hanging around here I'll learn to get through on way less.

So my budget for October is £200 starting on the 23rd. Fingers crossed!
    Grocery Challenge: January: /£214
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in again for October starting from 1 October. Will stick to £250 for the month with anything left over going towards Christmas savings!

Denise
  • Southern-Girl
    Options
    Could you pop me down for £175 please.
    This is from Saturday 26th September - Friday 23rd October

I'm on a mission and feeling very positive (so fingers crossed)
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    I am going to be really brave and cut another £50 off my grocery budget, so can you please put me down for £200 for October please?

I am going back to weekly shopping for October, instead of 1 big monthly shop and then weekly top ups. I have a cupboard full of pasta, rice, cous-cous, every carb you could think of! So going to be eating a lot of carbs in October.

My October grocery budget starts next Friday (2nd) and runs until 30th.

As usual, many thanks to those that run this challenge, you all do such a great job :T
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    really cutting back in October, so no booze spends!!!! please put me down for £200 spends for 1st-31st October. that includes toiletries etc. that's for 3 adults, 3 big dogs, 6 chickens and 2 ducks. good luck everyone.xx
  • lushlifesaver
    Options
    I'm back in from October, please could I have a budget of £130

my month will run from Friday 25th September to Friday 23rd October.

I'm hoping to get by on more like £100 as bf *should* be selected for a big tournament which means just over a week away, plus a shorter training camp so fewer mouths to feed!

We are also hoping for a week at the caravan within that budget; unless I get a new job (interview on Monday!) so I'm thinking it should be doable as we've had a big musclefood order this week :)

I'm hoping I can use the other £30 to start getting Christmas treats/foodie gift elements together.
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • Frugalwannabe
    Options
    Can I be put down for

£400

again please. Although I came in under this we'll be having a little Halloween party and I'll also start buying for Christmas. This is for 2 adults and 3 children, 1 in nappies but all and home all day :-)

Thanks to all that organise and run this thread. It helped me so much in September!
    Grocery challenge June £0/£500
    £1000 by December £0/£1000
  • wannalot
    Options
    Hello, can I be put down for £160 please. That's just for me, for a month running from 26/09 to 25/10.

I have added an extra tenner to my budget compared to last month, but I hope I will come in under budget in October. I missed a few luxuries last month, mainly smoked salmon (which I use for an easy lunch at work) and the odd bottle of lager/wine, so I'm going to try to have these a few times in October. of course, that means that I will have to be extra careful with the rest of my grocery spending!

I have decided to roll over any monthly savings into the next month from now on, to hopefully accumulate a little fund to spend on bargains or luxuries.

Thanks to all the organisers of this challenge. - I love it, and it really has helped me understand where so much of my money was going earlier!
    2024 goals
    GC: Jan £160 (annual £1920)
    Savings: save £10K (or move house)
    Health: Lose 3 stone
    Mind: read at least 24 books
  • DuranGirl
    Options
    New life, new mortgage starting soon, so I'm going to have a go for the first time this month! Going from 1-31 October. Looking at my average food spend over the last few months, I'm going to have a first estimate of £400. I'll be on holiday for a few days at the beginning of the month - not sure whether I should count any meals out as part of the challenge, or just "proper" food shopping. There's me and my adult (lives on Quorn) son at home all the time, plus my chap every other weekend (big meat eater) and I want to do an Asda online order for my student daughter once a month for £50 until she gets a job, so I'm ambitiously going to include that in the £400 total. Here we go!
    3-6 month EF Challenge Member #19: £3590/£6000.[/B] Craft destash from 22.5.22: 46/200. Declutter from 22.5.22: 105/250 Car finance PAID OFF £7,848.88 IN 2019 (0% LOB)
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 September 2015 at 11:11PM
    Options
    Hello,

I feel almost too embarrassed to show my face again, after yet another disastrous month in September. I have totally no idea what has been spent on food as hubby has done a number of top up shops for us, when I have been too disorganised and not remembered to get meat out of the freezer or my fibromyalgia has played up.

Oh well, onto the new month! Please can you put me down for £200. I am going to draw money out weekly and I hope to come out with some money over to put towards clearing a credit card.
    My month is from 25th September to October 24th.
    Tomorrow, I will be perusing the boards for reasonable cost meals and making savings on toiletries and household items.

Good Luck all.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure