Faulty Caravan - Refund refused

dentsp
dentsp Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 3 October 2016 at 8:08PM in Consumer rights
Hi there,

Looking for some advice on consumer rights if possible. We purchased a second hand wheelchair accessible caravan from a company in August and have had multiple faults with it since then. We've only been able to use it on three occasions since and have had major faults with it every time.

They have repaired the issues each time but more and more faults keep happening to the point we no longer have any confidence left in it.

We have requested a refund but have been refused on the grounds it was sold as seen but I was under the impression businesses can't use that 'phrase'.

Does anyone know if we have any rights to claim a refund?

Many thanks, Steve

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What are the faults and how did you pay? What did you pay?
  • dentsp
    edited 3 October 2016 at 9:10PM
    Hi, thanks for the reply. We paid £15,500 by bank transfer and the faults we have had so far are:

Roof leak 3 times despite repairs
    Water heater no longer works
    Brakes faulty
    Leisure battery faulty
    Broken bed
    Wet room floor floods as drain is higher than floor level
    Numerous internal lights not working
    Room divider fell apart
    Door locked itself and we had to break in

We have given them 4 opportunities to repair faults but more keep happening every time the caravan is used.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It's a second hand (i.e. old) caravan. It can't be expected to be sold otherwise than "as seen".

If you wanted a brand new caravan (with a brand new guarantee) you should have bought one.

It would be no different if you bought a car second hand.

At least the seller is agreeing to repair the faults you have identified.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Doesn't an item from a business seller have to be fit for purpose (whether its second hand or not)

This craven doesn't sound likes its fit for purpose to me.

The OP is not asking the seller to make it new, just to make it suitable for use as what it was sold.
  • dentsp wrote: »
    We paid £15,500 by bank transfer
    Was that the full selling price or did you also pay a deposit? and if so, how was the deposit paid?
  • dentsp
    edited 3 October 2016 at 10:11PM
    Thanks for the replies. I don't expect it to be new but as said it should be fit for purpose, which it is certainly not, regardless of the fact it's second hand. It's only 4 years old.

Shaun, no deposit was made, would that make a difference? The price was 12,500 with 3000 paid for extra work
  • dentsp wrote: »
    Shaun, no deposit was made, would that make a difference?
    I was hoping that a deposit was paid on a credit card as this would then have given you rights against the credit card company.
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Over 15k sold as seen um ? That's a !!!! take
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    It's a second hand (i.e. old) caravan. It can't be expected to be sold otherwise than "as seen".

If you wanted a brand new caravan (with a brand new guarantee) you should have bought one.

It would be no different if you bought a car second hand.

At least the seller is agreeing to repair the faults you have identified.

That's nonsense. You have considerable rights against a trade seller, but unfortunately after the first 30 days that does not include a refund.

This might help: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Doc_N wrote: »
    That's nonsense. You have considerable rights against a trade seller, but unfortunately after the first 30 days that does not automatically include a refund.

This might help: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act
    Fixed that for you. A (full) refund is still an optional remedy up to 6 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure