HP just disabled printers from using compatibles

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    :question:Are HP machines that use Laser Toner cartridges affected??
  • Don't buy HP printers then, my Epson XP 212 played up the same way after I updated the drivers when notified then my compatable carts stopped working, After some research I bought a set of refillable cartridges and turned off auto updates.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
  • As you suggest your printer is old and from what your post implies takes 2 cartridges (black and tri-color) it is highly unlikely that your problem is due to a firmware update, the machines affected by this update are current models in the Officejet range taking 950/951 and 934/935 cartridges which are one cartridge per color systems.

There are issues with other brands at the moment, Epson machines that take T29 series (Strawberry) cartridges that were manufactured after February this year all had updated firmware which rejects compatible cartridges, these printers are the entry level domestic range also there are issues with some machines that take the T33 (Orange) cartridges. Brother installed updated firmware in machines manufactured after January this year and a further online update, compatibles for those machines are currently on V3 of the chip, those updates cover all their current range so machines taking 221, 223, 225, 227, 229 cartridges. Current Canon machines are so far problem free so for individual cartidges you are looking for machines that take 570/571 cartridges or if you are lucky enough to still be able to get one, a machine that takes 550/551 cartridges.

Thanks for your good advice. On the back of it and other research we did, we bought a Canon yesterday (that takes 570/571 cartridges). Fingers crossed that Canon decides not to follow the others (did wonder about turning off automatic upgrades, just in case?)
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5528827

It only affects Officejet machines that take 950/951 and 934/935 cartridges as far as we know

Phew, mine takes 932/933! Got me very worried for a second.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I have always bought HP printers and always used HP cartridges, so I am with agrinall on this one, without the "Refill" bit!

I always buy a complete set, which for my HP Photosmart C5380 means 5x cartridges. The printer is 9 years old now and still working fine, in fact better than when it was new, because I signed up for regular software and Firmware updates from HP. As a result, it performs better now than it did when I bought it. I buy HP because they are more durable and because the Support is way ahead of the competition: much older printers than mine are still supported. Shopping around will always find the best price for cart's and I have around 5 or 6 places I compare with. Usually it's a close call between e buyer, Amazon and Viking. Buying a full set is usually cheaper, look for the Deals available.

So this is not a problem for me. I know someone who used to work in a factory manufacturing cart's for 3 large companies, before they made the workforce redundant and moved overseas. He informed me that HP supplied their own ink, unlike the other 2, and each millilitre had to be accounted for. Probably why my printers last so long!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • tweeter
    tweeter Posts: 3,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 25 September 2016 at 9:59PM
    Has anyone tried a printer that works well with Ubuntu etc, other than an HP printer, who still supply linux drivers for them. I've always refilled my own cartridges but my present HP Deskjet 2130 is now refusing to work with my own refilled 302 HP cartridges. I'm no techy, but I get by using Ubuntu. Thanks for any replies.
    Peel back your baby's eyelid to find no nationality or religious identity mark there. Peer at your baby's eyes for them to reflect back just people-throw away your flags and religious symbols...

• tweeter wrote: »
    Has anyone tried a printer that works well with Ubuntu etc, other than an HP printer,

My Samsung works fine with Zorin which is based on Ubuntu.
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    edited 26 September 2016 at 8:52AM
    tweeter wrote: »
    Has anyone tried a printer that works well with Ubuntu etc, other than an HP printer, who still supply linux drivers for them. I've always refilled my own cartridges but my present HP Deskjet 2130 is now refusing to work with my own refilled 302 HP cartridges. I'm no techy, but I get by using Ubuntu. Thanks for any replies.

Best bet is to use Google and see if the printer you are interested in doesn't have any issues with Linux.

Ask on the Ubuntu forums if anyone may have the particular model you are interested in.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • Robisere wrote: »
    Probably why my printers last so long!
    With a set of genuine cartridges costing about as much as the latest "on offer" all-in-one in your local supermarket (which theses days is typically around £40) the lifetime of a printer really isn't an issue. By far the biggest cost over a year or so running only genuine cartridges is likely to be the ink rather than the hardware. I always check compatibles are being sold and their pricing before buying a printer.
  • kwikbreaks wrote: »
    With a set of genuine cartridges costing about as much as the latest "on offer" all-in-one in your local supermarket (which theses days is typically around £40) the lifetime of a printer really isn't an issue. By far the biggest cost over a year or so running only genuine cartridges is likely to be the ink rather than the hardware. I always check compatibles are being sold and their pricing before buying a printer.

Agreed.

Plus using OEM cartridges does not mean the printer will live longer, there is a good reason why so many old printers are still in use and that is because they were built better. In my experience, most printers are scrapped due to mechanical problems, bits falling off, full inkwells, cost of cartridges against the cost of new machine or just because the owner wants more up to date features. On a printer that takes individual ink tanks, you could argue that poor quality ink, generic ink could shorten the life of the print head, however, most of the problems with printheads that I've seen have either been clogging due to the machine being left unused for a long period of time or electrically dead printheads (which can't be put down to type of cartridges used) the printheads in some HP Officejet machines are designed as consumables and some will expire on page count or age, the same goes for some Canon machines where the life expectancy of the printhead is around 3 years for a domestic machine.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure