BritishBibliophile Wants A House

Comments

• Thank you JWIOW :) Let me put it this way, last month I earned a grand total of...14 pence! XD

I sell my books for 99 cents/£1.02 (99 pence + VAT automatically added) partly because they're quite small books and partly because I like them to be accessible to a lot of people as they're non-fiction and about women in history. Therefore I only get 35% of the money paid to me, if I pushed the price up to something like £3 then I think I get 60% of the money. I just haven't written a big enough book yet XD

It's also very difficult to market books, everyone and their mother now tries self-publishing so it's difficult to get noticed. Sadly there are also so many terrible books with major spelling and grammar mistakes that it puts a lot of potential customers off buying anything self-published.

If all you've got to lose is some spare time then give it a try. In my case I knew I had enough material for a minimum of 3 books and since then I've also scribbled down ideas for various off-shoots, so in total I think I have the potential for around 10 - 15 books. I did it because I missed doing research (my degree was very research-focused, my job sadly isn't) and I've always wanted to be published, so self-publishing gets me halfway there.

You can certainly give it a shot, but don't expect to make a living from it XD
  • £2.92 TT.

Got £3 in Ciao, hopefully I can get enough this month to apply for a payout for next month.

Got quite a lot of loose change to bag up, but I've applied for a Camden Market stall for a day in November to take the shop part of the website, and I'll need some change for that, so I'll have to hold off on bagging and adding popping in the savings until I find out if I've got a space.
  • £2.28 TT, weekend was a bit on the expensive side but worth it for the lovely day out with the Gentleman Caller :D
  • Got some more money to TT but can't actually move it. Got approval to take the shop part of my website to Camden Market :T :j Going to be going in the 2nd week of November, but that now means I have a LOT of stuff to buy between now and then. A few months ago my parents offered to loan me some money towards things, but I declined as I knew I could use my "moving savings" (i.e. not the house deposit stuff) to cover it.

Thankfully I've had a few sales come in over the weekend, along with my Bubblews money coming in last week, so my Paypal balance can cover some bits, especially if I'm clever with my eBay purchases.

It's a big wrench seeing my moving savings decrease, but I needed to try Camden with my shop, and this is the best time to do it as people start to think towards Christmas. Plus a lot of the costs are one-offs that, once done, won't be needed again, I just need to do more markets in 2015 to get the most use out of everything.

Switched on my gas heater this evening to burn off more dust and dry my jeans, housemates are out this evening so I'm taking advantage to do a big lot of laundry, but my jeans desperately needed washing and I need to wear them tomorrow so they're on a clothes horse in front of the heater, and I'm in the room to make sure nothing falls over and catches fire :eek:

Gentleman Caller is off work this week. I already miss him but he's coming round on Wednesday and offered to take me out to dinner so that'll be nice.

I've had an opportunity to apply for a career progression thing at work but I've decided not to go for it. Instead I've found several jobs closer to my parents that I'm going to apply for instead. The career progression thing would look good on my CV, but I just can't stand the thought of still being in London in 6 months time. I really need to start taking the idea of moving back out seriously, and that means job hunting outside again.

Homemade toad in the hole for dinner, with enough leftover for dinner tomorrow night too :D
  • Friday will be pay day so had a little nosy at the bank account and managed to move £37.70 in to the savings :D Made a few more purchases for the Camden stall at the weekend (including a big tarpaulin to keep the rain off my head) but that's going to be it until next weekend when I'll get a few baskets for displaying my badges. Then it's a case of packing everything up and counting stock and praying people buy from me.

Started making a meal plan for November, only my second time doing a monthly meal plan but it worked pretty well in October so hopefully it'll do the job this month too.

New savings total is £5810.12 so I will definitely hit the £6000 mark in December, and can then focus on pushing things forward in the New Year :j
  • Pay day today! Will do the main money shuffling tomorrow but checked my account this morning and also found that I got £2.10 from Amazon.co.uk and £0.14 from Amazon.com, that would be the sales from eBook volume 2, shuffled those in to the savings.

Grand total of October savings - £169.03! :j
  • BritishBibliophile
    BritishBibliophile Posts: 535 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2014 at 9:27AM
    Money moves done! Rent paid, food money taken out plus extra to go towards Christmas and both house deposit savings and potential moving savings topped up (been using the moving savings for some shop stuff recently so it's looking sadly depleted).

£132.80 added to house savings.
    New total = £5945.16

If I'm very careful and very smart then I might actually hit £6000 before the end of the month, but it's going to be another month of frequent travel (or hopefully frequent, going back to my parents home for my birthday and I've been applying for jobs so I hope I get an interview somewhere) so we'll see!
  • BritishBibliophile
    BritishBibliophile Posts: 535 Forumite
    edited 6 November 2014 at 9:51AM
    £1.42 TT in to the house deposit.
    New total is £5946.58
    £53.42 to go until I hit the £6000 mark.

Sold one of the t-shirts I'll be taking to Camden to a colleague but the money will be going in my Christmas envelope.

Just got to get some energy saving lightbulbs and some fairylights and then I'm all ready for Camden, apart from packing everything up and sorting out a stock spread sheet, and worrying that it'll pour with rain and no one will want to buy anything XD
  • £2.71 TT.
    New total - £5949.29
    £50.71 until I hit £6000!

If I stick to the NSD then I might just scrape through! I've got the cash for food shopping on Friday, and then I've got some left over from this week for a little day out to Caffe Nero on Saturday (been promising myself a morning of blog work for 2 weeks now), so as long as I stick to cash rather than using my card I might make it! I get paid next Friday, so by this time next week I should know one way or the other...
  • Paid in £2 worth of 2 pence pieces.
    New total - £5951.29
    £48.71 until I hit £6000!

Sadly I've hit a snag, I've lost a filling :( Want to get it seen to before Christmas as my Mum does the most wonderful crispy roast potatoes and I don't want to sacrifice the tooth on one of them so I've got an appointment to see my dentist on Thursday, that means I'll need to pay for the check up, so I'll just miss the target. I could cheat and pay for it using my moving savings, but they're a bit low at the moment and I don't want to remove any more from them.

Never mind, at least I can see what's happened to this tooth!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure