What Time Does The Banks Systems Update

Comments

• Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NinaS wrote: »
    but I am there only employee and so they are not sure whether I will get it on saturday or monday.

Most salaries are paid via BACS Direct Credit - almost inevitable they will credit on the preceding working day if the employer has a target date that hits a weekend. As BACS directly control the end to end process.

But if you're the sole employee .... likely it's a DIY job from your employer and direct to your account from theirs? So if they just initiate the BACS say 3 days prior the 24th? Then it could well be the 26th before you see it this month? I would have a word and ask them to initiate the credit with due regard to weekends / Bank holidays.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • halifax tends to update at 2am in my experience
    barclays 12am-2am typically in my experience
  • I am with Halifax and my account updates at 3.30am
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    barclays usally updates about 1215 am
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Very True :)

I know when I start a new job or change bank details etc, I like to check that the 1st credit has gone in ok. I found NatWest/RBS were the best for showing up credits.
    stclair wrote: »
    Youll be surprise actually at the amount of people that ask the question. :D
  • Bosie
    Bosie Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    When my main bank was with Yorkshire Bank I would have Carer's allowance due on a Monday, but if I logged on just before midnight on the Friday it was in.
  • simax wrote: »
    Also, on Santander, BACS credits due on a Monday get credited at approx 4pm on the day before.

Is this true?
    52 week money challenge £1/1378
  • simax wrote: »
    Also, on Santander, BACS credits due on a Monday get credited at approx 4pm on the day before.
    RobEssex wrote: »
    Is this true?

I don't think this is the case any longer.

A few years ago, Santander (or Abbey) used to update the Monday transactions on Sunday between 3 and 4 pm. But that got shifted further back and now takes place between 10 and 11 pm on Sunday.

I am expecting a regular payment on Mondays, when I log-in at 11 pm it has (virtually) always been credited by then.
  • I don't think there is a set time these days. I know I am often online when Nationwide figures update and the times are not set in stone. Neither is there a pattern I can ascertain.

I guess technology allows them to process things faster but I have noticed that some items such as child benefit can actually come in on a Sunday afternoon !
  • Dollardog
    Dollardog Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    withabix wrote: »
    Why on earth does the time of day (night) that the banks update their systems matter?

Their hours, days, weeks and months are all the same length, so you will still spend the money.

It can actually make quite a difference if you have direct debits coming out of the account the same day that money is going in.
    I have had my direct debits taken out, or the attempt made to take them out, before my BACS payments went in, when there wasn't enough in to cover them without the BACS payment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure