Faulty screen on LGTV

Options
Hi

I bought a 4k LGTV from Crampton and Moore 14 months ago and last week the screen went on it. When I first phoned Crampton and Moore they said it was LG who were responsible. LG tell me it's not. It's the supplier.

The supplier when I phoned back no, it's LG. I tried to get my point across that electrical goods just don't go out of guarantee after a year. As a consumer they are still responsible to some extent for the next 5 years.

Am I correct here. What should be my next step.

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 March 2017 at 4:05PM
    Options
    What does your warranty say ? If in warranty (I assume it is) then follow the instructions, but if you are beyond the warranty period then you will have to deal with the manufacturer.

Beyond warranty you can complain to the manufacturer that the goods are not fit for purpose, as the time they have lasted is not reasonable. (This is relative though as you expect a tv to last longer than a light bulb)

My son's Sony tv failed a few months out of warranty and repairs from their accredited dealers are expensive (large fee even if it's just a loose wire). He contacted Sony who agreed to go halves on the cost, but he found a local dealer whose price was under half the dealer's price, so Sony paid in full.

I got a full refund for an aircon unit which failed when 14 months old. This was dealt with by the retailer, though (Do-It-All), where the manager agreed that a couple of weeks' use was not satisfactory.
  • buzzby
    buzzby Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Crampton and Moore said I had to use a LG registered repair engineer just to look at the problem.
    They charge £140 plus VAT just to come out. Before anything is done.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 March 2017 at 5:03PM
    Options
    How did you pay ?

It really should be in the consumer rights section.
  • buzzby
    buzzby Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Paid for through PayPal. Bought brand new from their eBay store.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    ... but if you are beyond the warranty period then you will have to deal with the manufacturer.

It would be the other way round.

You have a contract with the retailer - you have no contract with the manufacturer. So you have to persue the retailer.

The basis of your claim would probably be that the retailer breached the contract, because the TV is not of 'Satisfactory Quality' and/or it is not 'Fit for Purpose'.

Your claim would be for your losses as a result of the breach of contract. (In this case, your losses would probably be the cost of the repair. Obviously, if the retailer repaired it for free, that would amount to the same thing.)

But it sounds like you might have a fight on your hands. As suggested, try the consumer rights board.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 March 2017 at 3:16PM
    Options
    buzzby wrote: »
    Hi

I bought a 4k LGTV from Crampton and Moore 14 months ago and last week the screen went on it. When I first phoned Crampton and Moore they said it was LG who were responsible. LG tell me it's not. It's the supplier.

The supplier when I phoned back no, it's LG. I tried to get my point across that electrical goods just don't go out of guarantee after a year. As a consumer they are still responsible to some extent for the next 5 years.

Am I correct here. What should be my next step.

Have you read MSE's Consumer Rights guide?

Here's a short extract:
    Know who's responsible

When returning items, beware shops trying the oldest trick in the book: saying they're not responsible for the shoddy goods and you must call the manufacturer. This is total nonsense!

If a company fobs you off by saying “go to the maker instead”, it's wrong. It's the retailer's job to sort it.

It doesn't matter if it's an iPod from a high street shop or a designer frock from a department store. If something's broken, torn, ripped or faulty, the seller has a legal duty to put it right as your contract is with it.
    Your problem is that in order to get the seller to do something, you need to prove that the problem is due to an inherent fault.
    An inherent fault is one that was present at the time of the sale but not necessarily apparent at that time.

In other words, you need to be able to show the seller that the problem is not due to fair wear and tear or misuse.

The usual way of doing this is to commission an independent report which confirms it.

From post#3 it looks like the seller is offering to arrange for that report to be done for £168.
    I would suggest that you take up that offer, but ensure that they will refund that £168 if the problem is found to be due to an inherent fault.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure