If things carry on Im going into alot of debt, ideas please!

2»

Comments

• Phoenix79_2
    Phoenix79_2 Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    You don't have to spent loads of money to have a good time. I used to be like you....spending £100 on a friday night and £100 on a saturday night and feeling ill all day sunday. Now when i go out i limit myslelf to £30-£40. Get yourself a good woman and you won't want to go out! ;) Also i joined a gym.....ok its £42pm but i go 4 or 5 times a week and feel (and look) a lot better for it.
  • alph250
    alph250 Posts: 18 Forumite
    good idea cheeky munky, i went down into town on my lunch break and started asking around for a friday night part time job i think i would quite enjoy that okay i would probably only earn £20 for my troubles but save £80 from not going out! nice idea, I use the works gym twice a week and ive started riding to work 3 times a week, 80 miles, so keeps me fit and saves me £15 a week, and i'm just looking at local area evening classes so i might start one of them to keep me outa trouble.

Oh and the comment about getting a girlfreind is true and settling down wouldnt be a bad idea but its just not my cup of tea just yet.

I know i could get out of my debts quickly and efficiently Im quite financially aware and i understand the right and wrong ways of borrowing money but i just need to free up cash by doing something other than getting steamed all the time.

Some good suggestions, keep em coming, what other evening jobs can you do? just looking through fish.com and there actually quite hard to find an evening style job!
  • climbgirl
    climbgirl Posts: 1,504 Forumite
    Sounds to me like you're just growing up a bit earlier than your mates! Most of us do this kind of thing when we're young but as you grow up you realise that you want a bit more out of life than just drunken craziness every night, that it's costing you a small fortune and that your body actually can't take it anymore!

There's loads of alternatives - movies, dinners (out or at someone's place), some kind of social sports team, a part-time job, poker nights at home, plays or shows if that's your thing. Just think outside the box a bit. Maybe join a few clubs if you want to meet a few people who aren't into blowing loads of cash they don't have on getting p*ssed every weekend.

The good thing is that you're young and you've realised that the overspending has to stop before you get yourself in too deep. Don't stuff up your future before you even get there. Debt will seriously hold you back from doing what you want in later life, buying a house, travelling, whatever you wish from life. Sort it out now while you're young.
  • leon103
    leon103 Posts: 732 Forumite
    Hi

I was in the same situation has you. I came out of a long term relationship and started joining my mates out on the town, once, twice, three times a week. To start with it was ok, I had money saved up. But starting spending beyond my means.

I would be buying new clothes often and spending stupid amounts on drink.

I found a girl and things just calmed down. I stopped going out so my mates stopped going out.

So my tip to fill the boredom is to find someone to do things with. A dvd and a takeaway is going to cost much less. Or invite friends over, has a couple.

I still go out with my mates but a lot less than I used to and because of this I now have no need to buy new clothes every week.

Ok it does sound easy but it might take a while to find the right person. I was lucky, once I did and started to settle down, so did my mates so that pressure to go out wasn't there so much. It might come with age, it might not.

Also sell the clothes you don't need anymore on ebay to put money towards that debt.
    :p
  • Hi and welcome. You are a classic case of an overspender. Well done on recognising this now, otherwise as you go through life, the banks will facilitate your overspending even more and you will end up like many on this site. Some of the advice you will get may seem boring but better to be bored with money than panick stricken without it!

Firstly, you need to keep track of your spending. According to my figures you have £181.73 per week to spend on yourself. I suggest you write this amount in a little book and write down everything you spend and subtract as you go. (a spending diary, get one on ebay). You must also stop using a credit card for any more purchases. Pay the amount I have calculated and no less than this for your cc, never the minimum. I note no mention of other car costs, tax/mot/maint etc. Clearly the entertainment of your friends is draining your funds, particularly on fri and sat night. Do you have any other interests? Why not suggest to your mates you do something different on a fri/sat like cinema/bowls/snooker. Don't get into rounds; buy your own. Anyone asks just say your hard up. Why not ask for a job at the gym? Get free use!

Good luck, the figures are as follows:

income weekly monthly
    self 1220.00
    partner

total 0.00 1220.00 divide by 4.33
    £281.54

£281.54 total weekly income

spend weekly monthly
    rent/mortgage 150.00
    council tax 0.00
    elec 0.00
    gas 0.00
    water 0.00
    secured loans 0.00
    TV licence 0.00
    fines 0.00
    loan 155.00
    phone 50.00
    tesco 10.00
    cc 67.50

total 0.00 432.50 divide by 4.33
    £99.81

£99.81 total weekly spend

Start= income - spend = £181.73 per week
  • Hi,

Suggestions for a part time job...some of my friends work in bars or are waitresses, I think for a flexible job you should try a temping agency, thats who I have my weekend job through and have been doing it the last 2 and half years. When I was in uni a lot of call centres use agencies and are pretty flexible so you tell them what hours you can work!

My job is really suitable because its shifts and we can swap so if there is a night coming up that I know I couldnt bear to miss I just swap that shift!!

I seem to have it pretty good dont i?! ha ha...been doing over time this week too...over £10 an hour!!! woo hoo!!
    Making the most of what I've got.
    I have now realised earning more money won't make me richer but clearing my debts will!!
  • roxy7699
    roxy7699 Posts: 1,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    also check out jobsite.co.uk, monster.co.uk, totaljobs.com, workthing.com, reed.co.uk, good luck seems you know what to do - just need to do it. Im 22, dont end up like me - see below
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure