Interior insulation for solid walls

I'm about to do some redecoration, the house has solid walls.
I want to insulate them before proceeding and have seen a product called Sematap which states it can be used by the DIYer.
The website is here http://www.mgcltd.co.uk/mgc043.html
Has anyone tried it, is it any good?
That gum you like is coming back in style.

Comments

• I have never used that stuff,years ago there was a similar product called "kotina" which was similar, reading the "bumf" on the site. it gives good insulation,if you have any condensation or dampness you will have to get it sorted first though.
    A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    El sabio muda el consejo, el necio no.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks Peter, anyone else used the stuff?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,970
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The product looks superb for raising the wall temperature and thereby reducing or even eliminating condensation.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to post your views on the product once you have used it? I for one would be very interested to read your views on it.
  • Could you not use foam backed / insulated plasterboard on your outside walls? …it may work out cheaper than the SEMPATAP method.

My mate used insulated plasterboard on his solid walls when he was redecorating & he says the heat difference is amazing! …. the boards he used were about 1” thick in total.
    He was replacing the skirting boards so they had been removed ....you would have to remove yours & either renew them or if you could get them off in one piece reuse them.

http://www.lafargeplasterboard.co.uk/products/prods/therm_res.htm
  • cargo
    cargo Posts: 462
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have used the above boards to stop mould growth on cold walls.
    Worked for me.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,970
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ok the boards seem like a good idea, the only drawback that I can see is that uncle_buck reckons they are 1" thick. That's thick!
  • Based on my own house, (with solid walls and old gas boiler) and using the mgc website's figures, Sematap should save about 55p per annum per square metre.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I just got a free sample today from Energy saving trust, its quite soft but one side which is exposed on the wall is more solid and have fibre glass in it, that side you wallpaper on
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    You cannot expect to get any effective insulation without some thickness of insulation. Losing a couple of inches off the width of a room seems a small price to pay to provide extra insulation. If you do not have a cavity wall, then it is your only option.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • i would consider this stuff but unfortunately i have pipes going along the wall and a radiator. plus there isnt an inch of space available where the main door frame joins on the adjacent wall.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure