"Looking forward to paying off all my debts and getting back to just being broke"

Options
Very long time lurker (think years) and I now think that I should make it official and join the ranks of the Debt Free Wannabes. :money:

I have just started being an OU student so took the opportunity after a lot of recommendations on here to get the free student edition of YNAB and actually really love it. I will be using it on my DF journey so I can see where every penny goes and not have to worry about it so much.

So today is day zero and by the end of this diary I hope that my debt sheet is as my name suggests completely clear and white as snow.

So here I am. My plan is to clear my debts at a steady rate because previously I'd throw all my money at them and then have to use it again because something cropped up so false economy really and more a candle than actual light bulb to be honest.

Right 1st step is to update YNAB and check/update all my balances so that I know exactly which rung of the ladder that I'm starting on. Going to get into my jimmies, grab a cup of tea and get it done!
:beer:
Update with balances as soon as I'm done...... wish me luck....
Total Debt:
Dec 2015: £20,090.87
Dec 2016: £16,320.85

Comments

• chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    welcome to the site. good luck with your journey
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • GunWharf
    Options
    Well done on making a start.....let the journey begin :T

Good luck
    (Debt Jan 2014 LBM £34,000) Current 2016 "Problems" as follows:

C Cards 1,2,3,4 WAS £18,333 NOW£0 :j...Overdraft WAS £2700 NOW£0 :j
    Secured Loan
    WAS £4113 NOW£0:j.......Loan WAS £8864 NOW £6,000

DEBT TODAY = £6,000
    (£28,000 PAID OFF SO FAR!)
  • MissLaura
    Options
    Writing it down and popping it on here will help - it's never going to go up from this date forward, only down. Believe that wholeheartedly and you're off to a good start.

Good luck, will keep an eye with this thread and your progress.
  • roxy7699
    roxy7699 Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome fellow ou'er.

Joining you on your journey.
  • White-as-Snow
    Options
    Thank you guys for the welcome!

Planning on figuring out the Christmas budget tomorrow so that I can only spend what I've got which will mean no extra post Christmas debt.

So many great threads on here with inspiration stories really will not let my debt increase. So many people on here can do it so there's really no excuse for me not to.

Miss Laura You're right I know that once its all written down here it's going to help. You guys are now my peers and mentors and I know that I can do it as long as I stick with you.

Still have a couple of balances to check on so not ready to post my total yet as I want to make sure it's accurate from the start.
    On the plus side all I bought today was yellow stickered bread to fill the freezer with. 10p per loaf and 9p for packets of rolls!! Must have looked like a right bread addict!:eek:
    Total Debt:
  • White-as-Snow
    Options
    roxy7699 wrote: »
    Welcome fellow ou'er.

Joining you on your journey.

Have you been part of the OU long Roxy? How's it going for you?
    Just waiting for my course papers to come. My course starts next month. Really excited,worried, nervous but looking forward to it at the same time.
    x
    Total Debt:
  • White-as-Snow
    Options
    Well I have now updated all my balances and it's a little worse than I originally thought £16,917.75

Whats that like a years salary? :naughty:

I think we have come to regard debt as part of life and not worry about it. But not any more for me at least. Looks daunting seeing that figure and needing to pay it all off.

Have been throwing my pennies at my largest APR debt for a few months actually and only have £9.99 left on it ( I know strange figure) and will be able to finish paying it off next week. Soooo looking forward to that.

Off to make packed lunches with my cheap and cheerful bread :rotfl:
    Total Debt:
  • belleandthebudget
    Options
    I think we have come to regard debt as part of life and not worry about it. But not any more for me at least.

This is definitely how I looked at debt, as if it were necessary for me to survive. Seems so silly now. Best of luck (with the course and the debt busting)!
  • roxy7699
    roxy7699 Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Options
    Have you been part of the OU long Roxy? How's it going for you?
    Just waiting for my course papers to come. My course starts next month. Really excited,worried, nervous but looking forward to it at the same time.
    x

What are you studying?
    I did a few short courses a couple of years ago which I enjoyed, had tried longer courses prior to that but think I wasn't in the right place.
    I just finished my first 30 point module it was enjoyable but moved very quickly. Now starting another 2 modules :undecided. That will be the decider for how long it will take me to do it.

As long as you keep up with or ahead of the weekly planner you will be fine and don't be too absorbed by the forums as they can throw you off.
  • White-as-Snow
    Options
    Will be starting my first 60 credit module in Law. My first 2 units paperwork arrived today and have booked little man into lunch club;) so that I have a bit of alone time to do it.

I actually did a year and a half a long time ago straight from school in uni but at the time it wasn't for me. probable should have deferred instead of quitting but it seemed the right choice at the time and have wanted to go back ever since just struggled with the right course/the right time/ work etc so am hoping being able to fit the learning around my schedule will be good for me.

On the money side managed to only spend £2 today in Lidl on toilet cleaning supplies that were on offer so not quite a NSD.

Been very slack with the housework today so have a lot that I will have to start tacking tomorrow. Will make a list because I like the feeling of ticking off things and the sense of achievement that comes with that.

Do however need to do a food shop at some point soon. Had a very strange tea of fish fingers and pasta. Kids loved it mind so :T
    Will see what concoctions we can have tomorrow. ;)
    Total Debt:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills