Spam this weekend

Hi folks

Thank you to everyone who's been helping remove spam by hitting the spam button over the weekend, and especially to the board guides and our forum team who've been working flat out to help remove it.

We're taking measures to slow it down (obviously we can't say what those are here).

No site with a forum can ever get rid of spam entirely but with your help using the spam button we can make a very big dent.

Thank you everyone! :T:T:T
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think the system of the SPAM button is fine for the occassional poster is trying it on.

For the deliberate poster - kitchens, black magic, help line - then there has to be a MSE solution.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I keep flagging up Spam posts and you remove the Spam post and then 2 minutes later the same account posts another Spam post!

Why do you not delete the account of anyone who posts Spam?
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Is there any possibility of a "Report Spammer" button to save having to go into every single post and report it?

You could possibly make it only available to users whose previous spam reports have been reliable.
  • ColinFishwick
    ColinFishwick Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Well if any new measures have been taken since the weekeend they sure as hell aint working yet. It use to be a time when most of spam was at night now everytime I log in doenst matter what time I see countless posts of same spam.

You really need more effective spam measures

I am sure many of us are utterly fed up of reporting them and following them around and clicking spam button when another one joins soon afterwards
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    It's when the spam hangs around on the main forum index even after the post has been deleted that annoys me.
    I have seen deleted spam on the index for 5 days before someone posts something new on the board, the least used forum boards are obviously the worst for this.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    All I seem to be doing past week is clicking spam button. Sorry mse this isnt good enough on these forums. Please do something
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 January 2018 at 6:46PM
    Sorry, Andrea, I agree with Poppycat.

There's only so many spam posts we can click on without backup, and I feel the spammers are getting on here when the forum team aren't here to give us that backup.

Perhaps it's time for MSE's legal team to dig into what can be done through legal channels?

Edited to add:

Oh, I think I've found out one of the measures, but I won't share it in public. All I'll say here is that, as a programmer myself, I don't think it'll do very much to stop automated spam bots.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 January 2018 at 9:21PM
    It's when the spam hangs around on the main forum index even after the post has been deleted that annoys me.
    I have seen deleted spam on the index for 5 days before someone posts something new on the board, the least used forum boards are obviously the worst for this.

This annoys me too.

One way you can help to remove it is to bump a genuine thread on the affected, less used board (perhaps the latest genuine thread that now shows) by posting a comment on it

This will remove the spam from the main forum index, for that particular board

You can then also delete your post if you like - it's available via the edit post function.
    If you do delete your post (which I would recommend, unless it adds value to that thread) the main forum index corrects itself i.e. the spam does not return and no longer shows :)
  • Is something being done about people's diaries being randomly deleted Andrea?

Cumbria Lass from DFW lost her diary today, Sun Addict lost her five year diary on Saturday, Wannabefree has lost hers twice recently, and these are not the only examples.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,130 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Is something being done about people's diaries being randomly deleted Andrea?

Cumbria Lass from DFW lost her diary today, Sun Addict lost her five year diary on Saturday, Wannabefree has lost hers twice recently, and these are not the only examples.

As a very long term user & a no 1 :money:fan I can only agree with this.
    It may seem over the top but these diaries are a very big part of our lives and we share all our struggles in them.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure