Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I didn't understand whether the name of the liquorice was referring to Gitdog, or whether he'd just gromfled* the lot.

*Is this a word? It is in this household, where rather a lot of gromfling goes on.

Welcome Penitent! As soon as I saw your post I thought of WaS and how she would HATE it if anyone came into her flat and she didn't know how long they were staying! (Actually I think anyone would, but I'd just hate the loss of privacy and self-determination, having to be sociable and entertain someone the whole time - eeeek! :eek: )
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Oh, I do JM. I relate completely to that. I have found ways of getting around it over the years like telling people I need to go out later so can they tell me how long they might be so that I can arrange my meeting? Or saying I have an important phone call to make so I need to know when I can do it? My worse nightmare is someone visiting me without saying when they will leave which sounds horrid but I don't mean it to, it is just that I can only control my anxiety for so long. Also, if I know when the visit ends I can usually steel myself to get through the timeframe and stay calmer, it's just total panic if if it feels indefinite.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Thank you for the support yesterday everyone! I have hopefully un-blipped :)

Code - feel free to PM regarding your dad if you need to. I was in your situation not too long ago so may be able to help in some small way.

Love to all!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    (((code))) you can always say anything at all to us, and there will always be someone around with an extra blanket for the fort and some Jaffa cakes xx. It's not at all selfish to be tired and want a break from things.
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 April 2017 at 12:02PM
    It seems like there are lots of people in need of hugs so big hugs and squishes to all of those who need them.

Hi Penitent, I hope you get some answers soon about how long your guests are staying. Even though I like having people around I still find it uncomfortable if I'm not sure how long a visit is going to be so I can't imagine how horrible it must be if you don't like them being there in the first place.
    Sorry, cross-posted. Can you have a word with the person who invited them about entertaining them herself? It's really not down to you and I'm sure they won't think you're being rude if you keep to yourself, especially seeing as you'd mentioned it before they arrived.

I've currently got the grumps due to my stomach deciding that it hates me. Whenever I change my eating habits I seem to end up with an upset stomach for about a month, I've had it for about 2 weeks now and I'm tired, fed up and just want it to go away. I ended up taking Tuesday and yesterday off sick so now I can add feeling useless to my grumps. On the plus side, taking time off sick meant I got to finish watching the many, many episodes of Buffy I recorded at the weekend.
  • Izadora
    Penitent wrote: »
    Izadora - It's made worse by the fact that one of the house guests doesn't like me very much (hasn't for many years), so I always feel like I'm trying to make them like me even though I'll never be able to. I try not to think about it as it makes me upset, but you can't not think about it when they're in your house.

I know that it's much easier said than done but I always try to remember that not everyone is going to like me and if someone does dislike me then, as long as we can be vaguely civil, that's their problem not mine.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hugs to all that need them, it appears there are several at the moment.

code, best wishes to your dad and don't forget to look after yourself. I know from experience it's easier advice to give than to take, but it bears repeating.

What happened to my mum seems to have been down to a water infection combined with migraine like symptoms, according to the GP now the test results are back. It was a distressing experience for both my parents, the way my dad described what happened when it started (mum can't remember) is exactly like what my friend with BPD describes when she dissociates, suddenly having no idea where she is or why she's there and being totally confused.
    Izadora wrote: »
    On the plus side, taking time off sick meant I got to finish watching the many, many episodes of Buffy I recorded at the weekend.
    I have them all on DVD :D and am doing a 20th anniversary re-watch of the whole lot from beginning to end. Syfy were running a "top 20 episodes as voted by viewers" event at the weekend, but I was working outside, so didn't see any of them
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    What happened to my mum seems to have been down to a water infection combined with migraine like symptoms, according to the GP now the test results are back. .....

Ono, So glad that it was something like that. Hope you mum is well on the way to recover.

Hugs and squishes and handshakes to all that need them. And that seem like a few at the moment.

Well I will be having new windows in late june!!!! finance has been agreed over 10 years. yeah what ever LOL!!!!!We will pay that off a lot quicker than that. Not sure if was cheapest and it was first quote but we liked the product. And the living window is huge as well. The bloke almost forgot to take the £100 deposit as well LOL!!! I had to remind him.

So once that is done then we can get on and finish decorating the rest of the house.

Well dying my hair went badly I am now orangey colour with dark underneath :rotfl:I knew that would happen. I have have some other hair dyes that a blonde but darker blonde. So will try one of those either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Think I may go out for a walk and take the doggy with me.

Everyone take care

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Izadora
    I have them all on DVD :D and am doing a 20th anniversary re-watch of the whole lot from beginning to end. Syfy were running a "top 20 episodes as voted by viewers" event at the weekend, but I was working outside, so didn't see any of them

I've got them all on DVD but one of my cousins has borrowed them so I'm re-watching them all on Syfy at the moment :)

I'd set the top 20 to record but, annoyingly, Syfy hadn't take into account the fact that Graduation and Becoming are both 2 parts so the series link missed the top 2. They weren't exactly a surprise though and I've seen both of them so many times that I could pretty much recite the scripts (well, one of them doesn't have all that much dialogue...)
    calleyw wrote: »
    Well dying my hair went badly I am now orangey colour with dark underneath :rotfl:I knew that would happen. I have have some other hair dyes that a blonde but darker blonde. So will try one of those either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Yay for getting new windows and if it makes you feel any better my hair's quite orange at the moment too. I dyed it red a couple of weeks ago and it's at that stage of fading out where it's a bit of an odd colour but I can't be bothered to dye it back to brown to get rid of it faster.
  • faerielight
    faerielight Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    hi guys, it's my mother's funeral tomorrow, I'm dreading it, but I will get through it, dreading the interactions with the family, and hoping I don't disassociate and go into my wounded child, I'm going to try and stay in my adult, I can fall appart once it's over
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback