Bailiffs, what were they trying to get us to sign?

We had bailiffs visit on Friday, with notice to clam goods. (The debt is not ours, it relates to the previous owners of our house who left for Australia over 2 years ago, but that's a whole other thread)

My wife answered and would not accept that we were not the people they were chasing, even though house sale information and electoral rolls are publicly available as proof.

After a while the bailiffs took a softly softly approach and asked my wife to sign a document they had to say that she was unrelated to the debt.

Suspiciously, the bailiff would not let her take a copy to read and sign later, or even hold the clipboard the paperwork was on to read it properly. Sensibly, my wife told them to do one.

The bailiffs did not leave a card or any other information. But I am intrigued, what could this form have been?

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi there

Interesting - I'm afraid I can only speculate though. It sounds as if the bailiff had a ready-made document for exactly such a scenario - that is, if we assume that said document was in fact what he suggested it was, and not some sort of "walking possession agreement" in disguise. I wouldn't put it past certain bailiffs out there to plough on with enforcement even if they had good reason to believe that the debtor had long since vacated the property.

(NB I am aware that under the new rules in effect since Sunday, the concept of "walking possession" no longer exists, at least not in name).

Did you establish which bailiff firm this was, and on whose behalf they were acting e.g. local council?

Regards

Dennis @NDL
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • No, and they didn't leave a card either. They were very suspect.
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I recon it was a walking possession they were trying to trick you into signing. This is outrageous behaviour and I would vigorously complaining to both the council and the bailiff company as well.

Use this procedure : https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-bailiffs/how-to-complain-about-a-bailiff

I would then follow it up with an even more vigorous email to your local MP since this was a bailiff acting on behalf of a local authority and I would demand compensation frankly. This is one of those cases where you should slap them with the same force that they tried it on with you since bailiffs have been allowed to run riot for far too long.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Unfortunately, in the OP's case they don't know which bailiff firm they were or who the debt was owed to, so how would complaining to the council help?

The next time these bailiffs show up, I would suggest you have proof of ID to hand, plus a copy of the Land Registry docs and your latest Council Tax demand to prove you are not the people they are looking for and that they don't live there any longer. Don't expect them to do their homework before coming back.
  • quidsy
    quidsy Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    If they come back refuse to engage until you are given a business card or some proof of ID. They could pretty much be anyone.
    I don't respond to stupid so that's why I am ignoring you.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
  • The next time they visit, we are going to take photos of everything we can. ID's, faces, paperwork, their van etc... We will also have home ownership paperwork to hand.

Meanwhile we are trying to disassociate ourselves as much as possible. Every letter we get we will reply to with copies of house buying paperwork. We've also got in touch with the DVLA and fraud hotline to try to disassociate them from our address that way.

I can tell this is going to be a long journey.
  • FireWyrm
    Remember that you neednt strive officiously. It is for them to prove you owe the debt and not for you to trouble yourself proving you do not. By all means get their contact details when and if they show up again, but beyond showing them a driving license and perhaps a council tax bill, you have been perfectly reasonable and done all you can to get rid of them. If they then persist, this is harrassment for a debt you dont owe and you can rightly slap them with official complaints.

[/COLOR]
  • hallowitch
    hallowitch Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 April 2014 at 1:40PM
    I wonder if the bailiff was trying to get you to sign a controlled goods agreement (new name for walking possession agreement ) did you have a vehicle on your drive or parked right outside your home

the new regulations didn't come into force until Sunday but nothing would surprise me

Your wife did well not to sign anything

personally I would be opening all letter addressed to the previous owners
    I am not an expert I am self taught i have no legal training any information I post is based on my own personal experience and information gained from other web sites

If you are in any doubt please seek legal/expert advice help
  • lifechooser
    lifechooser Posts: 54 Forumite
    Yes, there was a car on the driveway that would cover as much as they were trying to claim back.

It's all very well that we shouldn't have to strive officiously, but if we don't this could go on for years.
  • FireWyrm
    Yes, there was a car on the driveway that would cover as much as they were trying to claim back.

It's all very well that we shouldn't have to strive officiously, but if we don't this could go on for years.

No it wont because continued visits etc after you have warned them in writing is straying into the realms of harassment and you are well within your rights to complain to everyone and their dog about it, but you need to know who to complain to.

[/COLOR]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills