TSB lowers credit limit with one day's notice

Options
SuzieSue
SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
How is this allowed? I received a letter today saying that my credit limit was being reduced tomorrow (8th March).

The letter was dated 1 March, but either they delayed putting it in the post or there was a postal delay.

But even without the delay, how is it acceptable to reduce someone's credit limit with 1 week's notice.

it doesn't matter to me as I am stoozing and am on a 0% balance transfer deal with a balance below the new limit. But how do the regulators allow this for people who can't suddenly magic up money in a day?

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why would you need to magic up money in one day if you were below the new credit limit. I doubt very much they would reduce it below someones existing balance.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    How is this allowed? I received a letter today saying that my credit limit was being reduced tomorrow (8th March).

The letter was dated 1 March, but either they delayed putting it in the post or there was a postal delay.

But even without the delay, how is it acceptable to reduce someone's credit limit with 1 week's notice.

it doesn't matter to me as I am stoozing and am on a 0% balance transfer deal with a balance below the new limit. But how do the regulators allow this for people who can't suddenly magic up money in a day?

Perhaps could have been to do with the little bit of cold weather we had last week? I didn't get any post Thursday, Friday or Saturday...
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    How is this allowed?

How would it not be allowed? It's their money and they can choose to reduce your credit facility.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    They lowered mine a couple of years ago - also stoozing - without any notice. I went over my limit as a result. The charge was refunded and no markers left on my file.

It's annoying - and I wouldn't have a TSB card again because of it - but they lower limits to stop you borrowing. Giving people a long notice period could be considered irresponsible.

Given that they can close your account immediately for whatever reason they like this isn't really such a big deal. No one should be relying on the available credit on a card to the degree that something like this would cause a problem.
  • SuzieSue
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Why would you need to magic up money in one day if you were below the new credit limit. I doubt very much they would reduce it below someones existing balance.

I was below my limit but others might not be.
  • SuzieSue
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    Perhaps could have been to do with the little bit of cold weather we had last week? I didn't get any post Thursday, Friday or Saturday...

But even so, people should get more than a week's notice.
  • SuzieSue
    Options
    How would it not be allowed? It's their money and they can choose to reduce your credit facility.

Because vulnerable borrowers need to be protected. They should be required to give at least 14 days notice and preferably 30 days.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But how are you a vulnerable borrower, as you are not using the credit they have removed?

It's not as if they are asking anyone to pay back a huge amount of borrowing.
  • SuzieSue
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    They lowered mine a couple of years ago - also stoozing - without any notice. I went over my limit as a result. The charge was refunded and no markers left on my file.

It's annoying - and I wouldn't have a TSB card again because of it - but they lower limits to stop you borrowing. Giving people a long notice period could be considered irresponsible.

Given that they can close your account immediately for whatever reason they like this isn't really such a big deal. No one should be relying on the available credit on a card to the degree that something like this would cause a problem.

Did you lose your promotional rate?

It is irresponsible to give people one day's notice.

No, no-one should and I have never paid a penny's interest on a credit card but some people are struggling through not fault of their own (unable to work due to cancer etc) so this should not be allowed to happen.
  • SuzieSue
    Options
    But how are you a vulnerable borrower, as you are not using the credit they have removed?

It's not as if they are asking anyone to pay back a huge amount of borrowing.

I am not vulnerable. I am worried about people who are.

They don't know that I could pay my credit card off several times over today but they don't care if I couldn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure