Birmingham Midshires 1.45%

Comments

• glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    polymaff wrote: »
    Why the heck didn't BM use a bank within LBG or its predecessor owners?
    I asked this in another thread. No-one really had an answer, other than something left over from the old building society days.

I cannot see how it would be difficult for them to change to a LBG holding account. Surely it would save money in the long term?
  • Speculator
    Speculator Posts: 2,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 January 2018 at 9:39PM
    Open one of these accounts (1.3%) for my wife on 7th Nov and completely forgot about it. Only remembered when she checked her Direct Debits on her Club Lloyds current account and noticed a Direct Debit from BM that's never been paid.

Anyway, checked the pile of junk mail waiting to be shredded and found the letter from BM requesting a cheque from her linked account.

Sent the cheque off last Thursday, 2 months late. Hope they can still open the account for her!
  • Ifts
    Ifts Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    edited 7 January 2018 at 10:16PM
    retiree wrote: »
    Has anybody else found it impossible to pay money into this account by direct transfer/faster payments? I have found that Barclays online banking will not accept the sort code 20-97-78 as stated on the BM site. It automatically defaults to 20-97-86 and then indicates that the code is incorrect.

I have made Faster Payments into my BM Savings account ok, though I did have the sort code automatically change for me.

I set up a new Faster Payment from my HSBC account using the 20-97-78 sort code (which I have used for many years paying into a BM Savings account), then the next day I went to make another payment and noticed the sort code had changed in my HSBC internet banking payee list to 20-97-86. I thought I had got the sort code wrong a day earlier and the payment I made probably didn't make it to my BM Savings account, but when I logged into my BM account it was shown as credited.

Like you the 20-97-78 automatically defaulted to 20-97-86 for me (only difference I was making a FP from HSBC and not Barclays), I checked with Birmingham Midshires and they confirmed the 20-97-86 is correct.
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just checked my Metro Bank payee list and it has also changed to 86.

Maybe BM used the current account switch service ... same thing happens when you pay someone who has done the same.
  • retiree
    retiree Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks to all who commented. I spoke to Barclays for over an hour and they didn’t know what was going wrong. Eventually I worked it out myself. When the sort code changed automatically, the leading zeros of the BM account number were simultaneously deleted. For the benefit of anyone else who has the same problem, you have to note down the new sort code and then start the whole process again from very beginning using that code when prompted.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Isn't Barclay's slogan "Becoming the 'Go To' bank"?

Apparently not if it's Wolverhampton :)

https://youtu.be/FVM3wiISxU0
  • Sort code: 20-97-86
    Account: 10968870
    Reference: Your BM savings account number

Works fine for me
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Sort code: 20-97-86
    Account: 10968870
    Reference: Your BM savings account number

Works fine for me

And for me as well.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Mchambers wrote: »
    And for me as well.

You must be gutted. Another compensation claim missed out on ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • I've just sent £10 via the sort code 209778 account 00968773 with my reference and Halifax sent it to those details but it changed from a payment to a person to a bill payment as account details recognised as Birmingham Midshire.

My savings account hasn't been credited yet but not surprised as time of day.

Having now read this forum will my payment reach my account?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure