Kids and cyber bullying

This is a query about schools response to bullying really.

Our daughter (14) found out that a couple of other kids had signed her up to a number of American onlie dating websites . They are by no means friends, and they have claimed it was a "joke". Initially the school took it seriously.

The other kids have continued with other types of more subtle bullying, despite the school speaking to them. I have also been in and spoken to the school bullying lead.

I guess the question is how serious is the cyber part - the school mentioned involving police initially, but i wouldn't know in what capacity. Secondly, I intend to keep pushing school to resolve this until it stops, but they seem reluctant to do anything. It is annoying when I am sure a simple letter or phone call to the bullies' parents would likely resolve it.

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Are you sure the school has told you all the action they've already taken? Have their parents not been told at all? Even by letter?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • rocketrob5
    rocketrob5 Posts: 17 Forumite
    They said they had not contacted their parents. They seem to try and want to play it down. Part of the problem is that they ask the 2 girls and they just lie as well.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Schools can only really deal with bullying which takes place in school. I went through this with my daughter, i don't know what you expect school to do ? I had to involve the police in the end to stop it.
  • rocketrob5
    They did it at school - they regularly spend lessons "in the toilet" together - virtually the whole lesson (not sure what the teacher does in this time). There is psychological bullying still going on in school which they are not dealing with.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Write a letter, detailing the original cyber bullying, the on-going bullying, the actions you have taken with the school, and what the school has done about it - if anything, to the head of the school governers - copying in the head teacher.

This should raise some action.
  • PrettyKittyKat
    PrettyKittyKat Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    The school should most certainly have contacted the childrens parents. Presumably your daughter has found these accounts and can evidence they were set up and by these two girls? I would speak to her head of year and request that a meeting take places with the childrens parents. This should be taken very seriously by the school.

Cyber abuse is a crime now, I think? So you can report it to the police.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Stuff the school, get the police involved.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Stuff the school, get the police involved.

^^^ this

I contacted the police about the cyber bullying, the school cannot do anything about it, they should be dealing with any bullying which takes place in school but cyber bullying is outside their control.

The Police were great and took action which eventually stopped the bully.
  • Email police 101 and provide any evidence you have that these two girls were behind the prank. Best nip this in the bud before they do anything else. Last thing you want is for some immature idiot to sign you / your kid up to NAMBLA or worse "just for a laugh". Trouble is, if you pee them off they might retaliate AND get more sneaky about it.
  • rocketrob5
    Thanks for the replies.
    So far from school, they have not contacted their parents. For me, if I had a letter about my kids form school, I would make damn sure they stopped whatever they were doing.

One concern was retaliation, but I think to stop it, action needs taking. I will contact the police. the problem is I don't know what evidence there is that they set up the accounts. They were done using our daughters' email. She found out as they told one of our daughter's friends what they had done. They also admitted it when questioned by school, but I can't see there will be physical evidence.

At this point, the school have escalated to their Leadership Team to monitor
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure