Definition of "Blocking Access to a Property"

Options
SaLoGo
SaLoGo Posts: 1,025 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I did write out the whole story, but I'm not sure the ins and outs of the argument are relevant!!

If I am parked opposite (as in on the other side of the road) someone's property, am I classed as blocking access to their property?

The road is 10m wide, my car is just shy of 2m wide, therefore there is 8m between my car and their drive.

It's a private access road, not sure if that makes a difference?
:beer: Been smoke free for 4 years!! :beer:

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    It depends on the signage etc. But presumably when you say private access road, you also mean its unadopted.

I'd suggest probably not, but this sounds like a neighbour dispute not a legal one.
  • SaLoGo
    SaLoGo Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No signs at all, it's just an access road that runs between 2 rows of terraced properties. Neighbour is stating that I am blocking access to his property. I've been parking there for 4 years without issue. I think he's just sore because he knocked his wing mirror off while reversing down the access road which he's no need to do as there is access both ends?!!
    :beer: Been smoke free for 4 years!! :beer:
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would say that a 8m gap is not blocking anything. Blocking access would be making it impossible to actually access the road/drive/etc.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sounds like its making it slightly more difficult rather than blocking. Are there other cars parked on his side of the road close to the junction thus making it difficult for him to turn as he exits his drive?

Is the road itself 10m wide or does that include pavements?

If the road is actually five cars wide then I am having trouble picturing why your neighbour has a problem as the industrial estate I am looking at out of my window right now has roads narrower than that and huge articulated lorries are performing the same manoeuvre that you describe.
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How big is their car and is it a woman driver? :D
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sicard wrote: »
    How big is their car and is it a woman driver? :D

Oh Oh Hard hat time.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have trouble believing a private unadopted road is 5 cars wide....that's pretty huge! If that is the case then unless he has a caravan/motorhome/large car I can't see that you're actually blocking him......but at the same time I personally consider it to be blocking a drive if you park opposite one too (that's just my opinion) even if it's 'technically' allowed. It's just bl00dy annoying for the person who's drive it is who wants you to just go park on your own drive.
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Oh Oh Hard hat time.

I couldn't resist. Both my daughters are probably better than most male drivers ;)
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Usually with these things, people just feel like they're being taken advantage of and it makes them angry.

My house backs onto a parking area, we (and neighbours) get one space behind the garage (dropped kerb) and a 2nd space behind our garden fence, which isn't legally belonging to anyone, on my side my GF and myself use the two spaces, but my neighbour has asked me to park my car in her 2nd space (leaving my garage space empty), because someone from all the way down the street has started parking a Merc sprinter van in that space and she's really getting annoyed by it.
    TBH i'd get annoyed too, as it towers over her garden and also makes it hard for her to get out of her parking space due visibility.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure