Buying Smart TV

melbury
melbury Posts: 13,250
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
I am looking to buy my first smart TV and find it all a bit confusing:(

I have noticed that some TV's come with built-in WiFi but others don't. I had just assumed that the TV would pick up the WiFi signal from my router (which is upstairs) and this would be okay.

If you buy a TV with built-in WiFi does it have it's own independent router incorporated within it? I have to say that my router would be a long way from the TV.

So is it better to buy a TV with it built-in or doesn't it make a lot of difference?

Why is everything so complicated?:(

Many thanks.
Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    melbury wrote: »
    I am looking to buy my first smart TV and find it all a bit confusing:(

I have noticed that some TV's come with built-in WiFi but others don't. I had just assumed that the TV would pick up the WiFi signal from my router (which is upstairs) and this would be okay.

If you buy a TV with built-in WiFi does it have it's own independent router incorporated within it? I have to say that my router would be a long way from the TV.

So is it better to buy a TV with it built-in or doesn't it make a lot of difference?

Why is everything so complicated?:(

Many thanks.

Built in Wifi means it will use your existing wifi to access online content.
    You need to weigh up the costs for built in/add on wifi. I personally just used an ethernet cable.
    What features are you wanting from this 'smart' TV?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    First of all do you get a decent wifi connection on say a smart phone, using ethernet might be a better option.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Decide first what you want from your Smart TV, that will help.

You may well find that merely adding a Google Chromecast, Amazon FireStick or similar to your existing setup will do what you want.

What do you want?
  • melbury
    Forumite
    Thanks for your replies.

Basically all we want is to be able to view a few series that are only shown on Amazon or Netflix and OH would like to see the new Top Gear:)

Our current TV is about 9 years old - a Panasonic plasma, so not sure if a FireStick would work on it. What do you think?

As I said, the router is actually located upstairs so quite a distance from where the TV is. However, no problem with connecting to WiFi on laptop downstairs, so presumably signal would be strong enough.

• I wouldn't worry about the smart features - TV manufacturers don't support them and they'll slowly stop working as soon as the next model year comes along. Better to focus on the other aspects of the TV and add the smart features via an appropriate box.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for your replies.

Basically all we want is to be able to view a few series that are only shown on Amazon or Netflix and OH would like to see the new Top Gear:)

Our current TV is about 9 years old - a Panasonic plasma, so not sure if a FireStick would work on it. What do you think?

As I said, the router is actually located upstairs so quite a distance from where the TV is. However, no problem with connecting to WiFi on laptop downstairs, so presumably signal would be strong enough.
    Assuming you're an Amazon Prime & Netflix member then it would probably be better to get an Amazon Fire TV stick or box. Personally I prefer the box as you connect via ethernet using a homeplug, for some reason I find some programme playback on Netflix (Narcos, for example) to be a bit jerky via Wifi.

As far as your existing TV is concerned, all you need is a spare HDMI input.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 1:31PM
    Thanks for your replies.

Top Gear will still be on the BBC, The Grand Tour on Amazon Video.

As above, an Amazon Fire TV device or a Roku. Both will cover Amazon Video and Netflix as well as all the major UK iplayers.

TV will should fine, my Panasonic plasma is about the same age and working fine with Amazon Fire TV box, Chromecast and Roku box.
  • melbury
    Forumite
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Assuming you're an Amazon Prime & Netflix member then it would probably be better to get an Amazon Fire TV stick or box. Personally I prefer the box as you connect via ethernet using a homeplug, for some reason I find some programme playback on Netflix (Narcos, for example) to be a bit jerky via Wifi.

As far as your existing TV is concerned, all you need is a spare HDMI input.

No I am not a Prime or Netflix member. I thought you could access quite a lot of things free of charge, but perhaps this isn't the case:(

Not sure what you mean by preferring the "box" and connecting via ethernet? Is that something special that you have to buy?

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    No I am not a Prime or Netflix member. I thought you could access quite a lot of things free of charge, but perhaps this isn't the case:(

Not sure what you mean by preferring the "box" and connecting via ethernet? Is that something special that you have to buy?
    You can't access Netflix (legitimately) without membership afaik and the free stuff on Amazon would be fairly limited. The Fire TV Stick is wifi only whereas the Amazon Fire TV box can use both wifi and ethernet connections.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UH2O6T2/ref=topnav_storetab_kin_ftv
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite

Netflix is subscription. Most programming is included at no extra on Amazon Video if you get Prime but others such a latest films are initially chargeable unless you wait.

The Amazon Fire TV stick is Wi-Fi only, the box has the option of Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure