Santander and TPP - third party providers

Mee
Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
edited 6 October 2017 at 3:21PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Received an email entitled:
Changes for current and savings accounts from January 2018

I'm trying to get my head around TPP access which scares the life out of me, or have I got it all wrong - is it similar to DDs?
New third party services

You will be able to give permission to certain third party providers (TPPs), authorised by the FCA or other European regulators, to access information and to make payments from current accounts and instant access savings accounts (this doesn’t include cash ISAs, Fixed Term Bonds and Regular eSaver), so long as you can access these accounts through Online and Mobile Banking services:

1. You can instruct a TPP to tell us to make a payment on your behalf and we will treat any instruction from a TPP as if it was from you. You can’t stop a payment once you have authorised a TPP to make it. You should check with any TPP you allow to access your account that they are authorised to carry out the services they are offering.

2. You can instruct a TPP to obtain and hold data about your account. Once a TPP has your permission and has obtained your data, they will be responsible for the security of this data.

The TPP will only be able to have the same amount of access as you e.g. if your account is ‘view only’ online and you can’t make payments online, then TPPs will only be able to access account information and won’t be able to make payments. We may refuse to give access to a TPP, for example, if we believe there is a risk of fraud

Update:
Ignore above, after calling Santander (Freephone) this is to cater for those needing to use power of attorneys etc to manage their/someone's financial affairs.
Free thinker.:cool:

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sounds to me like, not for the first time, a Santander CS rep has got the wrong end of the stick, or possibly even the wrong stick!

This is nothing to do with Power of Attorney but is clearly all about the forthcoming Open Banking changes, under which banks will be opening up access to third party consolidator apps, as mentioned in articles such as:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2017/02/timetable-for-banking-shake-up-unveiled---with-multi-account-app-planned-for-next-year
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cma-paves-the-way-for-open-banking-revolution

However, it's nothing to be concerned about in that any such access sharing will only happen if a customer explicitly opts in....
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Sounds to me like, not for the first time, a Santander CS rep has got the wrong end of the stick, or possibly even the wrong stick!

This is nothing to do with Power of Attorney but is clearly all about the forthcoming Open Banking changes, under which banks will be opening up access to third party consolidator apps, as mentioned in articles such as:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2017/02/timetable-for-banking-shake-up-unveiled---with-multi-account-app-planned-for-next-year
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cma-paves-the-way-for-open-banking-revolution

However, it's nothing to be concerned about in that any such access sharing will only happen if a customer explicitly opts in....

That was my first assumption, but what I was told seemed plausible. However, I did have to read the text to him so that perhaps should have alerted me. Thank you for putting my right and for the link, but still worried - what safeguards are there to protect a customer being opted in without their permission/knowledge?
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Mee wrote: »
    still worried - what safeguards are there to protect a customer being opted in without their permission/knowledge?
    Too early to say - this hasn't been implemented yet but when it's introduced next year I'm sure that'll be covered in more detail, although it's clear from the tone of their email that this is all very customer permission-driven, i.e. "You will be able to give permission....", "You can instruct....", etc.

Any bank that enables a third party to access your data without your consent would immediately be in breach of the Data Protection Act (and the forthcoming GDPR) anyway and they'd be on the hook for any consequential financial losses, so it's in the banks' interests to ensure that appropriate safeguards are in place too....
  • EdgarWhitleyLSE
    EdgarWhitleyLSE Posts: 5 Organisation Representative
    In light of the discussion in this forum, if you using mobile phone apps like the ones discussed in this thread to help manage your personal finances and savings or have given an app or website permission to interact with your banking data, we are interested in speaking with you as part of a study for the Financial Services Consumer Panel being undertaken by Dr Edgar Whitley and Dr Roser Pujadas from the LSE’s Department of Management. For more details about the study and to enrol, please click https://lse.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4Jbj39zKZgrAlmJ
    Official Organisation Representative
    This is a verified account.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info and ask for your feedback. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure