PIP ending letter

Options

Comments

• tyler2027
    tyler2027 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    At the time of my tribunal my immune system was rock bottom, I had 2 weeks battery left on my pacemaker and no surgeon in the land was willing to replace it. Maybe they thought a new pacemaker would solve all the problems?

Hi,
    I think possibly a couple of things are at play here. I don't know your award levels but it may come down to:-

The DWP could think some intervention would improve your health. A short award and reassessment would be needed on the basis that improvement was likely, point scores would drop, and an award be lowered from enhanced to standard, or from standard to not qualifying. However, just because someone is expected to improve doesn't mean they have, hence the DWP have to do the 14 week invite to reclaim rather than just letting the award run out.

The other thing is that the tribunal awarded you the points. The DWP had to give an award. The only power over the award was for the DWP to control its length and reassess or review status. One could think the DWP could be petulant and give the minimum. Maybe they would not be so petulant on reassessment, especially if you have evidence to support that either no treatment or intervention is available for you, or you have had it and it didn't work.

Regards,
    T
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So to update, I received the form and sent it back with 2 cardiologist letters (1 transplant cardio, 1 arrhythmia cardio), 1 neurology letter (3 page extravaganza going into great detail about every PIP descriptor and how I meet it, the man is a saint), 1 ophthalmology letter, a physio report, an OT report and a report from my works occy health department.

I got the text confirming that they had my form on time (I didn't ask for an extension either). Then I got radio silence. I called them after 4 weeks and asked what was going on, was told they'd call back. Usual nonsense where no one calls you so I phoned my MP who called and found out my form had been overlooked and I was supposed to be listed for a medical but wasn't - brilliant.

So we got me a medical date for 18th September, MP fuming as my award was inevitably going to end before the new decision would be made, told me to make a complaint. So I called and complained that my form had been missed leading to my award being stopped, massive impact on me, lost blue badge etc.

So then I attended the medical, literally sat in a room and got asked the questions on the form! What was the point in that? That's 2 hours of my life that I won't get back.

Then the DWP phoned me on Tuesday, apparently my complaint had also been overlooked and this was them just getting around to looking at it. Told the man that this was despicable and I was in no state to discuss this issue and to write to me (I have a chest infection currently trying to kill me).

And that's where we are, not had the letter from the complaints people, my MP has been told that it will be at least 6 weeks for a decision to be made and I'm apparently meant to conjure up money for carers, stay at home because I can't use disabled spaces because I don't have a blue badge and there are no assessment appointments at the council until after Christmas.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So to update, I received the form and sent it back with 2 cardiologist letters (1 transplant cardio, 1 arrhythmia cardio), 1 neurology letter (3 page extravaganza going into great detail about every PIP descriptor and how I meet it, the man is a saint), 1 ophthalmology letter, a physio report, an OT report and a report from my works occy health department.

I got the text confirming that they had my form on time (I didn't ask for an extension either). Then I got radio silence. I called them after 4 weeks and asked what was going on, was told they'd call back. Usual nonsense where no one calls you so I phoned my MP who called and found out my form had been overlooked and I was supposed to be listed for a medical but wasn't - brilliant.

So we got me a medical date for 18th September, MP fuming as my award was inevitably going to end before the new decision would be made, told me to make a complaint. So I called and complained that my form had been missed leading to my award being stopped, massive impact on me, lost blue badge etc.

So then I attended the medical, literally sat in a room and got asked the questions on the form! What was the point in that? That's 2 hours of my life that I won't get back.

Then the DWP phoned me on Tuesday, apparently my complaint had also been overlooked and this was them just getting around to looking at it. Told the man that this was despicable and I was in no state to discuss this issue and to write to me (I have a chest infection currently trying to kill me).

And that's where we are, not had the letter from the complaints people, my MP has been told that it will be at least 6 weeks for a decision to be made and I'm apparently meant to conjure up money for carers, stay at home because I can't use disabled spaces because I don't have a blue badge and there are no assessment appointments at the council until after Christmas.
    Hopefully it won't be too long for a decision. Have you rang for a copy of the assessment report? This will give you some idea on what the decision will be, as the DM often goes with the report. Good luck.
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Hopefully it won't be too long for a decision. Have you rang for a copy of the assessment report? This will give you some idea on what the decision will be, as the DM often goes with the report. Good luck.

I called and asked for a copy but they said they can't release it until the decision is made, I know this is nonsense but I'm too ill to fight it at the moment.
  • Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    I called and asked for a copy but they said they can't release it until the decision is made, I know this is nonsense but I'm too ill to fight it at the moment.

I will never understand why the DWP tell obvious (and not so obvious) lies. There is no excuse for the indiscriminate lying. None of us were born yesterday - do they still think they can pull the wool over our eyes.

While not relevant to you Jen, I'm still trying to get the nurse who did my first PIP assessment struck off. I did manage to get one DWP employee sacked for gross misconduct for lying to me and a modest amount of compensation for his lies.
    I have the strength and the capability to go after them - not unsurprisingly at my second PIP assessment they decided not to mess me around.

Really feel for you.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    Diary wrote: »
    I will never understand why the DWP tell obvious (and not so obvious) lies. There is no excuse for the indiscriminate lying. None of us were born yesterday - do they still think they can pull the wool over our eyes.

While not relevant to you Jen, I'm still trying to get the nurse who did my first PIP assessment struck off. I did manage to get one DWP employee sacked for gross misconduct for lying to me and a modest amount of compensation for his lies.
    I have the strength and the capability to go after them - not unsurprisingly at my second PIP assessment they decided not to mess me around.

Really feel for you.

The NMC decided that the "nurse" who did my assessment last year had no case to answer. All I can say is thank fcuk he doesn't work in a hospital, the mistakes he made were horrific
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    The mystery deepens. Got a letter from the complaints handler who said that the DWP aim to make a decision within 16 weeks of application being received and that I had a decision on 2nd October which makes it 14 weeks and therefore I have no complaint.

If that's the case why wasn't I told this on the phone? Why was I told I couldn't have a copy of the assessment report even though I apparently spoke to this man after the decision was made and was told I couldn't get the report until the DM had made their decision? And where is my award notice?

Does anyone know how long it takes for an award notice to be issued after a decision is made? I usually get them in large print, does that affect the timescale?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The mystery deepens. Got a letter from the complaints handler who said that the DWP aim to make a decision within 16 weeks of application being received and that I had a decision on 2nd October which makes it 14 weeks and therefore I have no complaint.

If that's the case why wasn't I told this on the phone? Why was I told I couldn't have a copy of the assessment report even though I apparently spoke to this man after the decision was made and was told I couldn't get the report until the DM had made their decision? And where is my award notice?

Does anyone know how long it takes for an award notice to be issued after a decision is made? I usually get them in large print, does that affect the timescale?
    Usually it takes about 1 week for letters to arrive, sometimes early for normal print. Not sure about large print. As it's only been 4 days since a decisions been made (so you were told) it's a little too early for the letter. You could always ring DWP and ask if a decisions been made, if it has then they'll tell you. Good luck.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Options
    all i can say is that i don't get letters at all. i phone and they tell me a letter is on its way .... but it never arrives.

I'm wrong relly by not making a fuss but as long as my benefit is paid at the correct amount at the correct time, i really don't make a fuss
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    So, in a spectacular display of semi-competence the DWP awarded me 12 points for moving around and 6 for daily living!

I scored 0 points for administering medication even though I explained that I use a dossett box and alarms and reminders from people and that I can't assemble a particular drug on my own because the pen mechanism is too difficult - I thought the dossett box would have scored?

I also scored 0 for showering and bathing, again lots of explanation about how I can't have a bath because I risk blacking out and drowning and I'm supervised in the shower for the same reason.

0 points for getting dressed even though I use an aid to put on prescription tights because well 1 I can't feel my legs and 2 they're really bloody difficult to put on.

What's really frustrating is I already ascertained that this was the case 15 months ago at tribunal. Why are we even doing this again? It's a total waste of time and energy.

Oh well, copy of the assessors report and go on from there. So angry I'm glad the DWP phone line isn't open today
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure