Who is right? Lloyds or Nationwide?

In 1972, we purchased our first home. Huddersfield Bdg Socy, Endowment policy without profits. At the same time I purchased a prolonged disability policy from Clerical and Medical.
Lloyds tell me that no Clerical andMedical policies are ppi related.
The Nationwide Bank list on their ppi claim form a policy sold by Cheshire Bdg Socy a policy named as Disability protection plan. .... sounds the same to me...
Lloyds say the policy I had wasn't ppi as it wasn't protecting my payments. It was simply a policy to pay me money if I became ill for any length of time.
So, next steps?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Lloyds tell me that no Clerical andMedical policies are ppi related.

That is correct. Clerical Medical is a life assurance company. It is not a general insurance company.
    The Nationwide Bank list on their ppi claim form a policy sold by Cheshire Bdg Socy a policy named as Disability protection plan. .... sounds the same to me...

Lots of products have similar names but cover totally different things. There is often an overlap with income protection and payment protection and some critical illness or hybrid plans.
    Lloyds say the policy I had wasn't ppi as it wasn't protecting my payments. It was simply a policy to pay me money if I became ill for any length of time.

As PPi didnt exist in 1972 but income protection did, then Lloyds are correct. PPI is short term insurance issued by a general insurance company. The policy you had is a long term insurance issued by a life assurance company. It is not PPI.
    So, next steps?

Making a PPI complaining about a product that is not PPI and is about 10-15 years before PPI became available is non-starter.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thank you very much..a very prompt and informative reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure