Mature Student Needing Advice

I'm returning to university next month to study for a BA degree in History at the age of 40. I trained as a nurse 4 years ago and came out with a 2:1 degree in Adult Nursing in 2013. My problem is this: because I'm going to be studying for a degree on the same level as my previous one, Student Finance England will not provide me with any funding: no tuition fee payments, no maintenance loan. Nothing. I am managing to fund the (now) extortionate tuition fees myself (via my husband who has kindly agreed to help me with some savings of his own). Is there anything else whatsoever that I'd be able to claim?? I have no children and no other dependents. I suffer from depression, anxiety and a slipped disc in my back which causes constant pain. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Welcome to the forum.

I think that the fact you already have a qualification at the same level will stop you getting any funding from the slc.

Unless the university is prepared to offer you some funding, I think you will struggle to get any money.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Thanks. It would just be nice to have some sort of maintenance loan/grant to help with everyday expenses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure