Who is responsible?

Options
We are haviing an extension built at the house we.'ve lived in for 15 years. The electrician working on site has said that the meter has not been installed properly. Obviously we contacted our current supplier who have said it is not their responsibilty because they didn't install it. We've no idea who did.
Whose responsibity is it for heavens sake? Where can I get a definitive answer from somewhere before I tackle them in another 4hour marathon call?

Comments

• stewie_griffin
    stewie_griffin Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It might not be the fault of your current supplier but like it or not they've got to put it right, no one else is allowed to touch your meter. Did the electrician explain how it's not been installed correctly?
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    crechat39 wrote: »
    We are haviing an extension built at the house we.'ve lived in for 15 years. The electrician working on site has said that the meter has not been installed properly. Obviously we contacted our current supplier who have said it is not their responsibilty because they didn't install it. We've no idea who did.
    Whose responsibity is it for heavens sake? Where can I get a definitive answer from somewhere before I tackle them in another 4hour marathon call?

Welcome to MSE :hello:

I'm sure the electrician who advised you there was something wrong will be able to assist you further on explaining how to have it corrected.

Good luck!
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The meter is owned by the Elec. Distribution Co for your area and how it's fitted on the Incoming Supply Side is their responsibilty - The Outgoing Side is your responsibilty

Your contactwith the Distribution Co has to be through your supplier, and most suppliers simply pass the problem up the chain at no cost to the customer
    (Unless it is the customer who's damaged the meter)

However some of the newer suppliers will make charges, ( are you with First Utility by any chance )
    First action to get a written report from your electricianand post a copy to your supplier - also posting it on this site should help because if it's a matter of fire risk or householder safety, their refusal to act will bring down the wrath of the gods
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure