in debt reality check! Help Please?

Options
2»

Comments

• chelseablue
    Options
    The car insurance looks very high, are either of you new drivers?

My partner passed his test in 2014 and his insurance started off at £1000 for the year (he was 24)

For this year we paid £600 for him and £300 for me
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you totted up all the child care & car expenses? your partner may be working for very little after expenses are taken into account, just a thought.
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • Biollante21
    Options
    Welcome to the forum from a relative newcomer :)
    Some great advice already given from the brilliant and very knowledgeable people here
    The only thing i can suggest is if you are not in contract with sky/virgin then consider a Now Tv account at £10 per month
    There are a couple of different packages available and it would save you money each month if only until you get back on your feet
    Good luck with everything
  • chelseablue
    Options
    tallyhoh wrote: »
    Have you totted up all the child care & car expenses? your partner may be working for very little after expenses are taken into account, just a thought.

Ain't that the truth! Our childcare is £860 a month for 3 days a week :eek:

Cant wait until September when we will be eligible for the government funded hours
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    The car insurance looks very high, are either of you new drivers?

My partner passed his test in 2014 and his insurance started off at £1000 for the year (he was 24)

For this year we paid £600 for him and £300 for me

The monthly figure in the soa is incorrect then. £900 per year is £75 per month not £148 which means your surplus should be even higher. Do you pay it monthly or annually?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The monthly figure in the soa is incorrect then. £900 per year is £75 per month not £148 which means your surplus should be even higher. Do you pay it monthly or annually?

I think chelseablue is just giving details of her situation not the OPs

Other than satellite I can't see where you can cut. If you identify the "missing" £500 that may make it easier for you to make savings.
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You say you're in debt and lots of it - but you only really have a sofa and 2 cars? Are you maybe missing off any card debts and overdrafts from your SOA?
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport