PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to clean the hob

Comments

• paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I am unfortunately in an all electric house (out in the sticks) and would give a great deal to go back to a gas cooker - so much more controllable.

If anyone is worried about explosions if they strip the cooker down too far (for cleaning purposes) there should be a tap nearby which turns off the gas supply. What about switching right off, for the duration of the clean, if only for peace of mind?
  • quidsinquentin
    quidsinquentin Posts: 42,693 Forumite
    Would anyone know what is the best way to clean a white enamel cooker?

I've just been given one that's only a couple of years old, and looks as though the most that was cooked on it was a can of soup!

It's just in such good condition that I don't want to spoil it. (so I thought best not use brillo's!)

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers all.
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
  • i ruined mine with over cleaning tbh
    jsut clean as and when required with damp cloth and then DRY with tea towel as i made mine rusty just wiping it then leaving to dry naturally
    We Make A Living By What We Get. We Make A LIFE By What We GIVE:money:

show me a man with both feet on the ground and i'll show you a man who cant get his pants off.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I do use brillos on "the welded on crud" on my enamel hob and after 10 years of this treatment it isn't wearing too bad. But for general cleaning I use hot soapy water and buff up with a dry cloth. Providing you take it easy I don't think an occasional scour will do too much damage. HTH
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • quidsinquentin
    quidsinquentin Posts: 42,693 Forumite
    Aren't we supposed to use bicarb or something like that?

My old mum always used to tell me but I was never listening. I should have written it all down!
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi quidinquentin,

There's an older thread with lots of advice that should help so I've added your thread to it to keep all the replies together.

Pink
  • Hi,
    I have an electric hob i hate but we're not connected to gas anyways i quite often spill stuff on there and then it gets cooked on.

I can't get it to come off and i'm not sure if i should scour it?

So far i have used a few surface cleaners with no joy does anyone have a suggestion??
    I have dyslexia, so get used to my spelling and grammar :)
    Mortgage pay off date 11/2028. Target 12/2020 :rotfl:
    Current Balance £33921
    Declutter 2123/2016
  • use spray bleach or disinfectant, and leave for a bit.. then (rubber gloves on!) wipe off, and go again with hot soapy water..
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No don't scour it with anything abrasive. I do loads of cooking and am quite a messy cook :o but my ceramic hob remains spotless!

You DO mean a ceramic hob don't you?

There is a little scraper you can buy (like a razor blade in a plastic holder) which is great for real tough stuff but generally I just put on some kitchen cream cleanser or even spray stuff and leave for few mins and then wipe off.

You know those kitchen sponges which are yellow on one side and green on the other, well that's all I use.
  • i don't know what it is it's black and complety flat and the areas were rings would be come up red when on. i sound like such a div
    I have dyslexia, so get used to my spelling and grammar :)
    Mortgage pay off date 11/2028. Target 12/2020 :rotfl:
    Current Balance £33921
    Declutter 2123/2016
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills