PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to clean the hob

Comments

• Peem
    Peem Posts: 645 Forumite
    I find the best things are Brillo pads.

only use them on the burners tho' cause they scratch.
    "You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis
  • vivw_2
    vivw_2 Posts: 2,230 Forumite
    Found the link for Astonish
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!20564

It is really good stuff....definitely recommend it
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

• You can also usually by Astionish from cheap pound shops for £1 a tub. Works well if you use a dry scrubbing sponge (for non stick of course):rotfl:
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,616
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Keep old toothbrushes specifically for fiddly cleaning jobs. Used in conjunction with the brillo pads- already mentioned- they will get into tiny dirty crevices.
  • cheepomummy
    cheepomummy Posts: 24 Forumite
    thanks to all!
    i have actually tried ASTONISH, but to no avail.
    Will give washing powder over night a go i think.
    I think its so burnt on now it might be here to stay.

Claire
    [link=http://lilypie.com]yQoy0.png[/link]
    [link=http://lilypie.com]TSQT0.png[/link]
    [link=http://lilypie.com]a8II0.png[/link]
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ok here goes, I've always been scared stiff of cooking with gas, in fact I hate gas fires aswell and won't use them but the new house has one built in, so I have to learn

Right, I figured how to switch it on, ok so I jumped about 4ft in the air when it lit :o is there anything I should know about cooking on gas ?

Also cleaning, it's a bit yuk, the top things come off that the pan stands on, the next bit which has holes in that the flames come out of comes off, can I take I clean them? What is safe to use if I can? Should I throw them in the dishwasher? sponge them? use oven cleaner and leave them to soak? Especially the little burner things are horrid with things burnt on so would love to get them clean.

Thanks for any help, tried searching but not knowing the technical terms for these 'bits' my searches were not much use.

:( still gutted that the fab new oven I have just bought has to go into storage, that doesn't have scary gas
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Hi,

Spookily I just posted this on the 'multiple uses for one product' thread. I soak mine in warm water and biological washing powder cos the enzymes eat the burnt on grease.

hth!

L

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    So I can take those icky bits off where the flames come through & where the pan stands and soak them ? Great!!! I use the same method on oven grills etc, just was unsure if I could clean these things.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    well I do with mine, and I haven't knackered it yet!!!

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • JoeyEmma
    JoeyEmma Posts: 913
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I LOVE cooking on gas! I love how the heat is instant, unlike halogen and ceramic hobs.

They are easy to clean. Take the racks and stuff and wash them in hot soapy water. I then wash the hob with hot water and an ECloth (note- no cleaner is needed) and then dry off with the polishing ECloth. It gets my stainless steel hob sparkling. Ok, the 2 are expensive to start with, but I haven't bought any extra oven/ kitchen cleaner since buying them. They even get rid of bacon grease without leaving that awful white bacon fat emulsion that is impossible to get rid of!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure