PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Inheritance Problem

Dazza744
Dazza744 Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 14 March 2017 at 4:13AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi,I have lived in the family home with mam and dad for 46 years,caring for both full-time until both passed away mam 5 years ago,dad in June. No wills were made so me and sister got 50% of the estate. Sister left home 32 years ago at 18. Now sister wants either the market value of her half of the house or for us to sell-up of which she has already had estate agents around and is going to list it. I've offered her various sums of money but she won't take a penny less than the market value. Any ideas on what I could do apart from drag my heels ,which I'm naturally going to do!

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Well you can make it as difficult to her as you can want to, making sure the place looks as unattractive as possible, cancelling visits, so that she has no choice but to take you to court with the cost that it involves and sell the house at a lower value if you make a point of not looking after it.

Alternatively, you can point to her of your intentions to be difficult resulting in a costly court battle for her and restart negotiation. Firstly, why are you offering her less than market value? Because you think you deserve a bigger part of the pot for looking after your parents, even though they made the choice not to have a will, or because you can only afford so much? If the latter, than show her the evidence of it and agree on a reasonable price, or maybe she can still retain some interest in the property for the difference.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    How dependent on your parents were you?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    If you drag your heels about this and your sister has to go to court to force the sale of the property then the court costs can be awarded to you. That money can be deducted from your share of the sales proceeds meaning you end up with less than half the value of the property.

My suggestion as to what you can do is to cooperate with your sister. Either offer her a fair price for her share of the property so you can buy her out, or put the place on the market.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Another POV - Yes you looked after parents, but (I presume) you paid no rent and your parents, unfortunate as this may be, chose not to recognize your care by dividing the house in unequal shares.

Could you afford to get a mortgage for the value of half of the house?

Only other option is, you go legal and claim much more of the value since your care left you in a vulnerable position - didnt get a job and so cant afford much of a mortgage, etc. There might be some prospect of you winning but the legal expenses will detract from that. Perhaps see a solicitor and see what they advise.
  • Dazza744
    Dazza744 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2017 at 8:35AM
    Firstly,I asked what her cash settlement would be and she replied market value,I was expecting slightly lower since it is family after all,and not because of thinking I was entitled to a bigger pot.We have been a very close knit family until this time as well,i have just started a new job and have offered her upto 75% lump sum and the rest within 2 years(I'd be able to get a personal loan by then) but she flatly refused. I really don't want any conflict but I feel as though it is on its way. Several aunts and uncles have also stated to say the house wasn't to be sold whilst one of us was living there but this is only words,both my parents would be horrified at her selling the house whilst I was still living there,as it seems greed has got the better or her.

I wasn't very dependent on my parents at all,sharing all bills and expenses but obviously my rent/lodging was less than if I had my own place.

I've looked into getting a secured loan on my half of the house but the cheapest I'd be entitled too is 40%apr which would cripple me.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Dazza744 wrote: »
    Firstly,I asked what her cash settlement would be and she replied market value,I was expecting slightly lower since it is family after all,and not because of thinking I was entitled to a bigger pot.

That makes no sense, on those grounds why wouldn't she get a bigger share, why is it you that gets it? I appreciate you put in the care but your parents unfortunately didnt think of that and if you say that doenst count, on what grounds do you think you shoudl get it?

In that respect, the only "below market value" that would make sense is one that removed the costs of selling -EA fees and the like- if you stayed there.
  • kiddy_guy
    kiddy_guy Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Whilst your sister could be slightly more friendly with her approach, put yourself in her shoes.

She doesn't need the property, she's gaining no rent or benefit from it and she'd like her share. You're trying to get a better share on the value so that you can afford to purchase it. Whilst it may seem harsh to say, that's not her problem.

Not meaning to sound hard, but there's 2 sides here.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 March 2017 at 9:12AM
    1st Q: Who has the letters of administration to act as the executor of the estate?
    2nd Q. Has the probate process been carried out
    3rd Q. Has the value of the estate been calculated (inc the house) and has any tax been calculated and paid if due?

If you and your sister are joint executors then she can not sell it without your agreement. However, she is entitled to 50% and that is not greedy but reasonable. Start negotiating. from your post it seems to suggest you are not eligible for a mortgage?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    What kind of secured loan were you looking at that had an APR of 40%? Surely the best type of secured loan for this kind of transaction would be a mortgage where I would expect the APR to be at least 10 times lower. Especially since you would only require a 50% LTV mortgage.

I can see your sister's point of view. She just wants this done and dusted. If she accepts 75% from you now (where would that money be coming from) and transfers her share of the property to you then what's to stop you not paying the remainder within 2 years?

I don't think your sister is being greedy. The house was left to you equally, if your parents wanted some other arrangement then they should have written wills but they didn't. Why should your sister face a Capital Gains Tax bill further down the line just so you can continue having cheap accommodation whilst she presumably has to pay more to live elsewhere?
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I take it that you are 46 years old and your sister 50.
    She left home at 18 which is quite young and made her own way in life.
    50% of the family home after costs could provide her with a huge lump sum to help her secure her future.
    She like you will not get a state pension till you reach 68.
    She more than likely has a Mortgage on her home to pay off.
    Can you buy a smaller property with your half ? Maybe with a small Mortgage ?
    Time to move on with your life
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport