HSBS Credit Card PPI Claim Rejection

Options
Hi

I'm looking for some help please...

I have made a PPI Claim on my HSBC credit card and it's been rejected. I would like some views on if I should continue to the Ombudsman and if anyone else has had any success.

I took out the PPI in March 2004. At the time I was living with my parents in a stable job with 6 months sickness payment at half pay.

They claim that:

- Premiums appeared on my statements and therefore I knew about the PPI
- I did not have sufficient cover for my payments if I was sick (their cover was for 12 months compared to my 6 months)
- Living with my parents was not a secure income if I was to be unable to make my payments

I do not recall any discussion about my circumstances at the time I took out the PPI. I'm not sure if that matters.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Parents cannot be relied upon to pay credit card bills, having a "stable" job just indicates that you were eligible for the insurance and not being able to remember discussions from 13 years ago does not mean they never happened.

The killer is that PPI appears on every monthly statement whenever there is a balance. The question therefore has to be asked why are you complaining about it only now, over a decade later? You surely didn't complain it was added without your knowledge?
  • Insider101
    Insider101 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    Stephb83 wrote: »
    Hi

I have made a PPI Claim on my HSBC credit card and it's been rejected. I would like some views on if I should continue to the Ombudsman and if anyone else has had any success.

I took out the PPI in March 2004. At the time I was living with my parents in a stable job with 6 months sickness payment at half pay.

They claim that:

- I did not have sufficient cover for my payments if I was sick (their cover was for 12 months compared to my 6 months)
    - Living with my parents was not a secure income if I was to be unable to make my payments

I do not recall any discussion about my circumstances at the time I took out the PPI. I'm not sure if that matters.

What are/were your complaint reasons?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Which is true. They were not hidden and in plain sight. However, that is not really a rejection reason. It is more of a statement of the obvious. Tends to be used when someone says they didnt know they had it.

This reason is used where the sick pay is short and the PPI carries on paying beyond the employer benefits.

Some people use parental support as a reason of complaint. It rarely works and this response is typically given to those that do.

Your recollection of what happened is not that important as your memory will not be strong. Plus, it cannot be evidenced. So, what may or may not have been said verbally at the time tends to carry very little weight.
    Were they your only reasons for complaint or did you have others?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stephb83 wrote: »
    Hi

They claim that:

The website "Which" publish a very useful guide to help identify potential mis-sold PPI on credit cards. Have a read of that before you decide whether to refer your complaint to the FOS.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure