UPDATED: Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide, is it cheaper to run than mains gas?

Comments

• nande2000
    nande2000 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Doh ! The lockshield valve was shut on the rad I had problems with; house now piping hot everywhere. All we need now is some really cold weather to test the system to its limit.
  • TiredGeek
    TiredGeek Posts: 199 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    nande2000 wrote: »
    Doh ! The lockshield valve was shut on the rad I had problems with; house now piping hot everywhere. All we need now is some really cold weather to test the system to its limit.

Well that's a relief :D
    Glad it was something so simple...
    A pair of 14kw Ecodans & 39 radiators in a big old farm house in the frozen north :cool:
  • nande2000
    nande2000 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interestingly the guy that installed mine was telling me he installed an Ecodan 8.5kw for his own house, then upgraded his insulation and downsized to the 5kw model. It heated his house fine but the electric consumption went up by 50%, so hes putting his 8.5 back in.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 December 2012 at 3:32PM
    As you can see from the pics below the ASHP going through a defrost. Not that you'd notice it inside as house very warm. Tis a bit chilly here with snow on the ground.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7521506/PC050686.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7521506/PC050687.JPG
  • jeepjunkie wrote: »

I am a bit confused about the relationship between this photo and these
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
  • albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    I am a bit confused about the relationship between this photo and these

John_Pierpoint, The first phot just shows the 14kW Ecodan looking at the front of the unit, The other two photos show the frosting occurring on the rear of the coil (two angles) and by the look of it, at night.

JJ will confirm

Al
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • Hi all - I've joined MSE just so I can participate in this thread! I had an Ecodan installed back in August; an 8.5KW unit for my 3 bed house.

I was nervous - not least because of the heated debates elsewhere in these forums about ASHP efficiencies and associated horror stories. Reading all those posts from Cardew about how it was all doomed to failure ;)

Anyway, I think my Ecodan is..... FANTASTIC!

Hot water has never been hotter - we are boosting via immersion much less, maybe 3 times in 6 months versus a few times per week before. Inside temp is absolutely fine, even when we've got down to -5º outside.

I've checked with the neighbours and they don't hear it - which was a concern - but to be honest it's less noisy than my rattly old LPG boiler. If you walk down our street at night, you can hear the heating going in most houses - mostly boilers venting outside. The Ecodan makes a different kind of noise, but in truth it's not any more intrusive.

The defrost cycle is amazing. Last night, I was looking at the unit and it's all frozen up - looks like the inside of a fridge. Then the unit makes a noise a bit like a lorry's air-brakes and, after a few moments, the ice turns clear and starts to run off as water into the soakaway.

I explain to people that it works by combining electricity with some clever gubbins and a pinch of pixie dust - no other rational explanation :D

ASHPs aren't perfect. Because the rads don't get as hot, it does take longer to get a house up to temperature - so we have the heating on all the time and keep it in a fairly narrow range; 16º overnight, 19º during the day and 21º at night. In my experience, it can take an hour to raise the temp by 1º - not a problem per se, you just have to plan a bit better.

I still can't comment on running costs. Back in August we were nearly £300 in credit with SSE and probably over paying by £20-30 per month. It will take a while to burn through that and assess increased payments. With Solar PV and Solar Thermal and no separate usage meter for the ASHP, I have no way of tracking what it uses with any confidence. No matter. I'm sure it's cheaper than LPG and every time I see that my LPG tank has gone, I still smile!

When the RHI payments kick in next year, I will hopefully get some dosh which will speed up the return on investment and be the proverbial cherry on the cake.

So far so good. Although I don't like the cold weather, I am secretly wanting the temperature to drop even further so I can see how well it works. Rated down to -15º, I think the coldest we've recorded round here is around -11º, so it should be interesting.
    :beer:
  • Hi all - I've joined MSE just so I can participate in this thread! I had an Ecodan installed back in August; an 8.5KW unit for my 3 bed house.

I was nervous - not least because of the heated debates elsewhere in these forums about ASHP efficiencies and associated horror stories. Reading all those posts from Cardew about how it was all doomed to failure ;)

Hot water has never been hotter - we are boosting via immersion much less, maybe 3 times in 6 months versus a few times per week before. Inside temp is absolutely fine, even when we've got down to -5º outside.

I've checked with the neighbours and they don't hear it - which was a concern - but to be honest it's less noisy than my rattly old LPG boiler. If you walk down our street at night, you can hear the heating going in most houses - mostly boilers venting outside. The Ecodan makes a different kind of noise, but in truth it's not any more intrusive.

The defrost cycle is amazing. Last night, I was looking at the unit and it's all frozen up - looks like the inside of a fridge. Then the unit makes a noise a bit like a lorry's air-brakes and, after a few moments, the ice turns clear and starts to run off as water into the soakaway.

I explain to people that it works by combining electricity with some clever gubbins and a pinch of pixie dust - no other rational explanation :D

ASHPs aren't perfect. Because the rads don't get as hot, it does take longer to get a house up to temperature - so we have the heating on all the time and keep it in a fairly narrow range; 16º overnight, 19º during the day and 21º at night. In my experience, it can take an hour to raise the temp by 1º - not a problem per se, you just have to plan a bit better.

I still can't comment on running costs. Back in August we were nearly £300 in credit with SSE and probably over paying by £20-30 per month. It will take a while to burn through that and assess increased payments. With Solar PV and Solar Thermal and no separate usage meter for the ASHP, I have no way of tracking what it uses with any confidence. No matter. I'm sure it's cheaper than LPG and every time I see that my LPG tank has gone, I still smile!

When the RHI payments kick in next year, I will hopefully get some dosh which will speed up the return on investment and be the proverbial cherry on the cake.

So far so good. Although I don't like the cold weather, I am secretly wanting the temperature to drop even further so I can see how well it works. Rated down to -15º, I think the coldest we've recorded round here is around -11º, so it should be interesting.
    :beer:

Great to hear another success story.

I suppose if it were not for blokes like Cardew we not do as much research as we do prior to install.

Cheers
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler

Welcome to the forum.

I appreciate that your comment is 'tongue in cheek', but there shouldn't have to be any horror stories when people pay??(£10,000+?) for a system.

It is quite obvious that ASHPs can work well, but all too often they don't, as the horror stories on MSE(with ripped out ASHPs) and elsewhere on the web illustrate - not to mention the Energy Saving Trust 12 month trial which was IMO little short of a disaster - and no follow up report to show things have improved.

I believe that the manufacturer should take responsibility their systems and not pass the buck to the installers. If your house was unsuitable for an ASHP because of insulation deficiencies, I wonder how many installation firms would have told you and lost the opportunity to do business.

There is one other very important point, that is an inherent disadvantage of ASHPs, that you mention in your post:
    ASHPs aren't perfect. Because the rads don't get as hot, it does take longer to
    get a house up to temperature - so we have the heating on all the time and keep
    it in a fairly narrow range; 16º overnight, 19º during the day and 21º at night.
    In my experience, it can take an hour to raise the temp by 1º - not a problem
    per se, you just have to plan a bit better.

For an ASHP to be effective you have to run it like you do - i.e. running 24/7. That is a big disadvantage, particularly for people out at work all day. Someone who is at work, say from 8am to 6pm is having electricity consumed and heat produced for an empty house - wasted enrgy and costs. With conventional CH it is sufficient to have it timed to come on, say, 30 mins before returning to the house.

Many prospective customers are unaware of the above and I have never seen this issue given publicity.

Anyway it looks like you have got a good system! Let us hope the running costs are low.

P.S.
    Do you mind saying how much your system cost - and did you have to get new/extra radiators?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback